Broken Hearted | Teen Ink

Broken Hearted

“Good morning sweetie, time to wake up,” Mrs. Symons said.
Abigail Symons is a sixteen year old girl from Nashville, Tennessee. She’s going through a very tough time in her life right now. It was Saturday morning, her favorite day of the week.
“Mom, I miss Stanley and Nick isn’t really helping the situation either,” Abigail said sadly.
“I know, I know, but it was Stanley’s choice to drop out of school and live on his own,” Her mom said. “And Nick is probably just having a guy moment, your father does it all the time.” Abigail was pretty close with her brother even though he was much older than her. Abigail got herself out of bed and started to get ready for school. She wasn’t exactly looking forward to today because she was in a big fight with her boyfriend Nick. Once Abigail got to school, she went to her locker to drop her coat off and then walked down the hall to where her friends normally stand. Her best friend Matilda was already waiting for her.
“Hey Abby, I heard about you and Nick, I’m sorry,” Matilda said.
“Yeah, you would think that he would be there for me right now since I’m going through a rough time but I guess not,” said Abby.
“Do you want me to go talk to him for you?” Matilda asked.

“It’s up to you, I don’t really want to deal with him right now though,” said Abby.
Matilda went to go find Nick to try and talk some sense into him. When Matilda came back, Nick was walking behind her. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” Nick asked Abby. So Abby and Nick went off to the corner to talk in private.
“Nick, it just really hurts me that you haven’t been there for me when I’m going through such a tough time right now,” Abby said.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you right now, I was just in a bad mood and didn’t notice how tough of a time you were having,” Nick said sympathetically.
“We’ll thanks for the apology, I could really use you by my side right now to help me through,” said Abby.
Nick walked Abby to her class and gave her a really big hug to make up for how he had been acting lately. The rest of the day was pretty normal. Nick walked Abby home from school, gave her a note, and then just left. When Abby got home, she opened the note and read this, “Abigail, I think that our relationship is going downhill. Everything that I do, you don’t like, and I don’t really feel like dealing with it anymore. I think that the whole time we’ve been going out, I was just pretending to be someone that I wasn’t just to impress you. But now I think it’s time that I start being the person I really am and I don’t think you like the person that I really am. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that we shouldn’t go out anymore. I still love you Abby but I just want to do my own thing now. Love, Nick.”
When Abby read the note she started breaking down into tears. She kept thinking about why he would do this to her at a time like this. She was so upset that she called him

as soon as she put the note down and just started yelling at him and then hung up the phone. Abby could not stop crying all night long. She kept thinking to herself what she did wrong and why all of the people that she loves are all running away from her. She hadn’t talked to her brother in about a week. She really missed having him there so that she could talk to him about all of this. She decided to write Stanley a letter telling him everything that happened. Once she was done with that, she decided to call Nick again. But this time, she was much calmer. She asked him a bunch of questions about what else he has lied to her about. And now that they weren’t going out anymore, Nick decided to finally tell the truth. He told her that he lied to her about smoking, drinking, being with other girls, and that he didn’t really care about her. She was so shocked that she just couldn’t hold all of her anger in. She told him that she never wanted to see or talk to him again because he completely shattered her heart. She told him that he was an obsessive, compulsive liar and that she feels bad for anyone else that would go out with him in the future. She told him that he would realize eventually how bad he messed up and he will regret choosing the life of a liar, rather than a life with a person that truly loved him. Her heart was broken but she knew what she had to do. She had to try her best to live through all of this drama.
So the next day, Abby was still extremely upset. But she managed to get out of bed and go to school. She passed Nick in the hallway and nearly cried her eyes out. She didn’t know what to say to him, so she just walked by and didn’t say a word.

“What is wrong Abby?” Matilda asked.

“Nick broke up with me last night in a note and I still haven’t talked to my brother yet,” Abby said sadly.

“I’m so sorry Abby. I’ll go beat him up if you want me to,” Matilda said jokingly.

“That would make me feel better, but I’m trying to be mature about the whole thing,” Abby said.

Abby felt like her whole world had just ended. She knew that she had to just move on and get over Nick, but it was difficult dealing with this breakup and her brother being gone at the same time. When Abby got home she sat on the chair and watched T.V. until her mom got home.

“Abigail, you don’t look too good, is something wrong?” Abby’s mom asked.

“Nick broke up with me,” Abby said, breaking into tears.

“Did he tell you why?” asked Abby’s mom.

“I don’t really know, I guess he said that he wanted to do more things and they were things that I don’t like,” Abby said.

“Abby, I can’t make all of the pain go away, only time can make the pain go away, but I can give you some advice. Don’t try to get back at him because then it will only make him respond back. Just don’t talk to him and try to stay away from him as much as possible because silence can hurt more than words sometimes,” Abby’s mom said.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right mom. Well thanks for the advice, it’s just going to be really hard to get over him after everything we have been through together,” Abby said, sobbing.

“I know, but just know that your father and I are always here for you. And I know that this is even more difficult with your brother gone, but the three of us have to try and get through all of this together,” Abby’s mom told her.
So Abby went into her room and cried for about an hour, looking through old pictures of Nick and her. Once she calmed down, she decided to try and call her brother Stanley. She called his phone a couple of times but he didn’t answer. Then finally she tried to call him again and he picked up.
“Stanley, I really miss you. I want you to come home. Nick broke up with me and I don’t know what to do anymore, I think I still love him. I’m falling apart and it doesn’t help that you ran away from home either. I could really use you here right now to help me through all of this,” Abby said, starting to cry.
“Abby, I’m not coming back but why did you and this guy break up now?” Stanley asked.
“He broke my heart. I don’t want to see him ever again and I defiantly don’t ever want him to show up at my house or call me again so you can just forget that I ever said I loved him,” Abby said.
“Oh just like all of the other guys?” Stanley asked.
“No! If you are going to sit here and insult me then I don’t want to talk to you anymore,” Abby said, madly.
“I’m sorry Abby. I didn’t mean to upset you. I can see that you are pretty upset over this guy so I’m here to listen if you want to talk,” Stanley said, apologetically.

Abby told Stanley the whole story. He told her that he was here for her now and that he was sorry that he had abandoned her. She was so glad that she got her brother back finally, even though she lost Nick, she knew that things would be better now.