Glimmerglass

A scream bursts the quiet, shattering the false peace and making my heart pound fast against my chest. My nightmare was finally coming true.
I hear the sirens whirring in the distance. I don't bother to turn around and check if they're coming this way.
I had known what would happen when I escaped, and that made it worse. I killed her. The only one to blame for Cara's death was me. Me alone. I'm a murderer.
I sprint away, trying to escape.The din of the sirens grows fainter and fainter.
I slow down and sit on the pavement. I dig in my pocket for the cell phone I'd stolen from the guards. I dial slowly. 9.1.1. I smile. Even if I couldn't bring Cara back, I'd avenge her.
I make the call. The operator is obviously trying to hide her panic, and she makes all of the arrangements.
I hear another whining of a siren. This time it's coming closer. The operator asks me where I am, so they could pick me up and take somewhere safe. I tell her it doesn't matter. When she insists, I hang up.
I sprint away now, far from the place where the police cars and ambulances are now congregating. I run and run until I reach the pier.
I stare down, down, down, looking to the bottom and seeing the face of a murderer. Mine. The ripples of the undertow twist it and give it a horrible, cruel look. I deserve it. Lakes are the truest mirrors for murderers like me. I gaze at it for a minute and jump.
If I couldn't bring Cara back, I'd avenge her.

milforce said...
This is really good. I love the urgency throughout the story and you do a good job with the the actions. I would suggest describing where this person is running from though, so we can get a better idea. Great job!

hannahbananasplit replied...
it's kinda implied (very, very obliquely) that she's escaped from a place where she had been imprisoned and as a result another person was killed (which is why she says she's a murderer). Maybe I was a bit too obscure--- sorry.

projectwarbird said...
This is really good work! I like how you put a sense of panic to the whole thing and the fact that you left the ending up in the air. Very good!

readaholic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:58 am
Really good story, but may I ask for the origin of the title?

hannahbananasplit replied...
I'm not quite sure, honestly. I think I was remembering Glimmerglass, which is a lake, from Leatherstocking Tales, and I was kinda like "looking glass..... Glimmerglass.... why not?" Then again, I could be making stuff up after the fact. :)

readaholic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
ok just curious....i was like "was it mentioned in the story? i don't THINK so..."