Glimmerglass

A scream bursts the quiet, shattering the false peace and making my heart pound fast against my chest. My nightmare was finally coming true.
I hear the sirens whirring in the distance. I don't bother to turn around and check if they're coming this way.
I had known what would happen when I escaped, and that made it worse. I killed her. The only one to blame for Cara's death was me. Me alone. I'm a murderer.
I sprint away, trying to escape.The din of the sirens grows fainter and fainter.
I slow down and sit on the pavement. I dig in my pocket for the cell phone I'd stolen from the guards. I dial slowly. 9.1.1. I smile. Even if I couldn't bring Cara back, I'd avenge her.
I make the call. The operator is obviously trying to hide her panic, and she makes all of the arrangements.
I hear another whining of a siren. This time it's coming closer. The operator asks me where I am, so they could pick me up and take somewhere safe. I tell her it doesn't matter. When she insists, I hang up.
I sprint away now, far from the place where the police cars and ambulances are now congregating. I run and run until I reach the pier.
I stare down, down, down, looking to the bottom and seeing the face of a murderer. Mine. The ripples of the undertow twist it and give it a horrible, cruel look. I deserve it. Lakes are the truest mirrors for murderers like me. I gaze at it for a minute and jump.
If I couldn't bring Cara back, I'd avenge her.

milforce said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm:
This is really good. I love the urgency throughout the story and you do a good job with the the actions. I would suggest describing where this person is running from though, so we can get a better idea. Great job!

hannahbananasplitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm :
it's kinda implied (very, very obliquely) that she's escaped from a place where she had been imprisoned and as a result another person was killed (which is why she says she's a murderer). Maybe I was a bit too obscure--- sorry.

projectwarbird said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm:
This is really good work! I like how you put a sense of panic to the whole thing and the fact that you left the ending up in the air. Very good!

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:58 am:
Really good story, but may I ask for the origin of the title?

Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm :
I'm not quite sure, honestly. I think I was remembering Glimmerglass, which is a lake, from Leatherstocking Tales, and I was kinda like "looking glass..... Glimmerglass.... why not?" Then again, I could be making stuff up after the fact. :)

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm :
ok just curious....i was like "was it mentioned in the story? i don't THINK so..."