Bright Lights | Teen Ink

Bright Lights

December 27, 2007
By Anonymous

I remember it like it was yesterday and the memory still haunts me every night. I still see the leaves blowing in the wind, the slippery road, the bright lights and I still hear the screams, the horn, and…the crash. That night I will never forget no matter how long I live the memory will never leave me. What happened that night impacted me in a way that I will never forget. My name is Edward and this is my story.

~Edward
The night was cold, foggy night and I was driving to pick up my girlfriend Emma and her sister Jessica. We were going to go to the movies then go out for some coffee or something. We all just wanted to get out of the house. I was supposed to pick them up at eight, but I was running a little late, so I decided to call Emma and tell her. I whipped my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed her number. It rang twice then finally she picked up.
“Hello?” I heard Jess answer on the other end.
“Hey Jess, It’s Ed. Can I please speak to Emma?”
“Yea, sure. Let me just call her.” She said. A few minutes went by and then I finally herd Emma’s voice.
“Hey Edward. What’s up?”
“Hey Sweetie, I just wanted to call to tell you that I’m going to be a few minutes late.”
“Okay. That’s fine. Where are you?”
“I’m about 10 minutes away from your house.”
“Cool. I’ll see you then Ed. Love you.”
“Love you to Emm.” I said then hung up and threw the phone over onto the passenger’s seat. About 20 minutes later I was there. Darn traffic. I got out slammed the door in frustration and trudged up to the door. As I got there Emma appeared. She opened the door and kissed me.
“Are you alright?”
“Yes, I’m fine, just annoyed. Get Jess and let’s go.” I instructed her.
“Sure. Jess! Get your butt down here. Were leaving!” She called.
“Alright. I’m coming.” I heard Jess call back. When everyone was in the car I hurriedly started the engine and speeded out of the driveway.
“Wow Ed. What’s the hurry? The movie doesn’t start till like 10. Be careful.”
“Sorry. I’m just annoyed with traffic and really don’t want to be in the car. That’s all, I’m sorry.” I said apologetically. I turned to look at her and kissed her on the check.
“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive?” She asked.
“NOO! I told you, I’m fine.” I yelled annoyed as I sped up. The road was slippery from the past ice we had had, but I didn’t care.
“Edward! Slow down. Slow down. The roads are slippery. Are you crazy?!” She yelled at me, but I unfortunately didn’t listen. Suddenly, I heard two screams, the loud beeping of a horn and then I felt the car spinning out of my control….then it all went black.


I opened my eyes and slowly tried to get up, but I couldn’t. I glanced around and was surprised at what I saw. I was no longer in my car, nor was I even near it. I was in what looked like a hospital, but I wasn’t sure. I sat up, or at least as far as I could. My back was so sore, and so was the rest of my body. I looked over myself. I looked like crap! I had cuts all over my body and bruises everywhere. What happened to me? It then all came back. The screams, the horn, the crash… Where were Emma and Jess? I called their names thinking that they were still near me, but they weren’t the ones that answered. A nurse came in and tried to calm, but I didn’t want her. I wanted my girlfriend. I asked her if she knew where they were and she said she would go find out for me if I would be quiet. I agreed and laid back down, the accident replaying over and over in my mind.

When the nurse came back her face was full of tears and her eyes were red. My heart dropped and my eyes widened.
“NOO!” I cried, “No! Please no. It was my entire fault. No! Please God No!” I screamed. She came over and hugged me and I continued to tear. Yes I was a guy, but I was not afraid to cry.
“Both of them?” I asked hesitantly. She looked at me and shook her head.
“Just Emma. Jess is in critical condition, but will be alright just like you.” She said.
“I will never forgive myself.” I said solemnly.


~Jessica


When I got out of the hospital the first thing I did was go to Edward’s house. I knew he would be in pain and I wanted to comfort him and reassure him it wasn’t totally his fault. When I arrived at his house, I rang the doorbell and to my surprise Ed answered.
“Hello.” I said cautisiouly.
“Hey, come in…please.”
“Alright.”I said. I stepped into his house and he led me into the living room were we sat down and stared at each other for the longest time.
“I’m sorry.” He said.
“Oh, Edward. You loved my sister and it was not your entire fault.” I said consolingly.
“NO! Jess, it was my fault.!”
“No! Don’t kill yourself over this. It was an accident.” I said.
“Yes….I guess you are right.” He said giving in. He then stared at me for a moment then broke down and I swiftly went over to him and comforted him. We wrapped ourselves in each others arms and sat there remembering the memories…the good times….before when Emma was still with us.





THE END