A Late Start | Teen Ink

A Late Start

December 20, 2007
By Anonymous

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP that was the noise ringing loudly in my ear. I was awakening by this loud noise and I was assuming that is just one of my sister’s toys or my T.V so I ignored it. I was mistaken, it was my alarm set for 5:45 in the morning and I had no idea why it was going off. I wanted to cry when I looked at my alarm and it said that it was 5:45 so I shut it off and I tried to fall back asleep.
It seemed as if I just shut my eyes when I heard my sister yelling “:RYAN!”, loudly through out the house. I opened my eyes and my sister was right in my face. She said “do you know what time it is?” I replied in a soft and very discrete voice “I don’t know 6:00” and she said “yea right you wish.” I snapped back at her in a wise manner and said “why would I ever wish that” and she said “because it’s 8 o’clock and you’re late for school.” I yelled “no way” and I jumped out of bed and took a look at my calendar, I couldn’t believe it she was right. There it was clear as day on my calendar in big bold letters FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. I must have stared at it for a good 5 minutes making sure that I didn’t write it down wrong.
I ran to the bathroom and hopped in the shower. Back in my room, I grabbed some clothes and then I raced down the stairs to see my bro standing in the kitchen with his keys. He said that mom told him to drive me too school and as we getting in the car he said “man your dumb” and I asked why? He said “who’s late on their first day of school.”