Trapped in an Elevator | Teen Ink

Trapped in an Elevator

As the shiny elevator doors open they revealed a short stocky man striking an odd pose. Mayor Adam West shuffled in and pressed the buttons for floor 9. There was a long, slightly awkward pause between them. Then the short man broke the silence.

“The names Zoolander, Derek Zoolander,” he said looking up at the Mayor with a strange grin. The Mayor waited for a moment then turned to Derek.

“My names Adam West but you can call me Mayor Adam West, or Mayor, Or King Adam West whatever you prefer,” said the Mayor looking at Derek with an equally strange grin.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, what’s your business here?”

“Well I’m the mayor and this is the town hall.”

“That’s interesting,” said Derek with the same ridiculous look on his face. There was another long pause in between the both of them.

“So I saw you posing when I walked in the elevator are you a model?” said the Mayor.

“Ah, you noticed did you? Well that’s my new move. I call it magnum lightning,” said Derek as he struck his pose.

“Oh bravo sir, bravo. Back in the day I used to be a model myself,” said the Mayor. “I never had a special pose or move though, I was just sexy.”

“Oh yeah, I can tell…” aid Derek rolling his eyes. I’m actually here show off the new…” Before Derek could finish he was cut off by a sharp jolt in the elevator. “What was that?!”

“Oh no I knew this day would come,” said the Mayor nervously. “It’s probably that ninja coming back to finish the job.”

‘What ninja? What are you talking….” Derek was cut off again by another jolt this time it was it was from something landing on top of the elevator. “What the heck was that?!” There was a quiet groan and a lot of fumbling around, then the vent on the ceiling of the elevator was pushed out and a small fat head poked through.

“Hi guys, I’m Tom I’ll be fixing the elevator in just a moment.”

“Hiya!” Said Mayor West as he karate chopped the small mans face.

“Ow, what was that for?!”

“Oh sorry I thought you were a ninja.”

“A ninja? No, no I’m just the elevator technician.” Said Tom massaging his bruise from The Mayor’s karate chop.

“Yes you said that all ready fix the elevator quickly please I have a modeling shoot At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really good looking.” Derek said interrupting Mayor West. Tom pulled his head back up and started fiddling with the elevator. As time passed Derek and Mayor West had been waiting for about an hour now and were curious to see what was taking so long because there was a quiet snoring.“Tom? Oh Tom? How’s everything going up there?” said Derek in an unnecessarily loud voice. “I wonder if he fell off. Mayor, give me a boost I want to check it out.” Derek got up on the Mayor’s shoulders and poked his head out of the elevator. “Tom? Wake up Tom! What are you doing I’ve got an important modeling shoot in 10 minutes!”

“I could be of help.” Said the mayor a little tired after holding Derek on his shoulders. “Back in the day I used to be an elevator technician.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Absolutely.”

“Well gosh why didn’t you say so, chop, chop!” said Derek clapping his hands still on Mayor West’s Shoulders.

“Okey Dokey.” Said the mayor dropping Derek and making the whole elevator shake. “Hmm lets see, ah yes there it is” The Mayor opened a small panel and pulled out a screw driver and started fiddling around with some wires. A few moments later the elevator made the typical high pitched ding and started moving. The fat technician woke up and fell into the elevator.

“Ouch!” said Tom after he slammed into the floor of the elevator, “Umm…What going on? Who are you?”

“Don’t you remember? I’m your Mayor, Adam West.” Said the Mayor with distinction.

“Ah I’m going to be late!” Said Derek sprinting out the elevator door yelling profanities on his way down the hall. The Mayor helped Tom up and walked back to his office. He propped his feet up on his desk and thought to himself, All in a days work for Mayor Adam West.