Marie Cardona from The Stranger Talks Back | Teen Ink

Marie Cardona from The Stranger Talks Back

December 16, 2011
By Sofia Abd Elhady BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Sofia Abd Elhady BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I always knew I loved you, Meursault, from the very first time I met you. When I ran into you at the beach, the day after your mother died, and you asked me to a movie, I knew you were the one. I had an amazing night with you but I had to leave before you woke up just to leave you wondering where I went. I knew the next day you were probably worried sick as to where I went. You were worried, weren’t you? Although you don’t really have a care in the world, I'm sure that with me it’s different. I know it’s not just the physical that keeps you coming back. We have a special bond, you and I. The physical attraction we have is great, but I feel as though we have fallen in love.

Now I know I was disappointed when you expressed your indifference toward love and marriage, but that does not mean that I will end the relationship or rethink my desire to marry you. In fact, your strange behavior is quite the turn on for me and that is why I love you. With marrying you, I would enjoy a good deal of freedom within the relationship since you do not take any interest in my life when we're not together.

That Sunday that we spent together at Masson’s beach house, was just amazing. I don’t understand as to why you were arrested the very next day and put on trial. It was a murder they say? I don’t believe it. Okay so you may have shot and killed that Arab man on the beach. But you are clearly not to blame; the sun was in your eyes. I don’t get why the judge and jury do not understand that you are an innocent man. I believe you Meursault.

Now the focus of your murder trial quickly shifted away from the murder itself to your attitudes and beliefs toward life. Can't the jury just make up their mind and stick to one thing? So you may be an atheist and have a lack of outward grief but that doesn’t make you are different from the rest of society. You may shout that nothing matters to you, but I know that deep down I matter to you. So what if you’re a little different from everyone else, that’s what I love about you. Sure you didn’t cry at your mother's funeral, instead you took a nice little nap. So what? You were tired. Why do people always have to make something out of nothing?

Now people may think how I could ever love such an emotionless being like yourself, but it’s very simple actually, you're good in bed. People just don't see what I see in you. Way deep down in there, you have a heart, but you merely have not learned how to express your emotions is all. And I know that you while you were in jail, you could only think of me and how you longed to be with me. Don’t worry, I felt the same. And right as you took your last breath before you were sentenced to die, I saw in your face that you didn’t want to leave me. That just shows how much you love me. You did love me, right?

The author's comments:
I wrote this story as a twist on the character of Marie Cardona from The Stranger. i found it interesting to tell a story from my idea of her viewpoint throughout the novel.