Finding out the Truth about Santa | Teen Ink

Finding out the Truth about Santa

By Cindyhaines BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Cindyhaines BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

How old were you when you found out Santa wasn’t real? Did you find out yourself or did your parents tell you? I found out on my own and it was in a way that I will never forget.

I was in kindergarten when I found out the truth about Santa. In school we had made magic dust that helped the reindeer find their way to our house. We were to sprinkle the dust by our chimney on Christmas Eve night, before we went to bed. When Santa came to our house the reindeer were supposed to eat the magic dust.

When I woke up in the morning I was excited to open presents, so I ran to my parent’s room. I was shocked when I got there; they were not in their room. I couldn’t find them so I looked out the window, which was right next to the chimney, and I saw my mom. My mom was outside next to the bottom of the chimney, with a shovel in her hand. I was confused and wondered why she would be shoveling the grass. I watched her, and finally realized what she was doing. I couldn’t believe it. She was shoveling away the magic dust I had put out for the reindeer. When I ran downstairs I said, “Mom what are you doing? The reindeer were supposed to eat that, now Santa didn’t come!” My mom said nothing; she didn’t know what to say. I saw the look on her face and right then, I knew Santa wasn’t real.

My mom tried convincing me that Santa was real, but my sister over herd and of course, she had to brag that she already knew the truth about Santa. Also, my brother had to brag about already knowing, because he found out a couple weeks before.

Many kids find out the truth about Santa at a young age. Everybody figures it out in a different way and at a different age, but most kids are between preschool and 2nd grade. I was very upset when I found out the truth, and I’m sure most kids are. I didn’t talk to my mom for a couple days; I gave her the silent treatment. I was extremely upset and didn’t understand at all.