Wilderness or Waterpark | Teen Ink

Wilderness or Waterpark

December 13, 2011
By Cindyhaines BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Cindyhaines BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever gone on a family vacation and thought you knew where you were going, but it turned out you were completely wrong? About five years ago I went on a family vacation to Canada.

The day before we left I was packing my bags and getting ready to go to Canada. My parents told us they weren’t sure where exactly we were going, but it would be in the wilderness. They said we would hike and explore nature; fun vacation right? I wasn’t too excited, but my brother was. Both my sister and I kept asking ourselves why they were making us go; we hate hiking and we hate exploring. This vacation officially sounded like the worst idea ever.

Finally, morning came and I was about to experience the most boring vacation of my life. My brother and parents seemed extremely excited. I couldn’t figure out why my mom was so excited to go camp in the middle of nowhere for almost two weeks. We drove for a few hours, but it felt like a lifetime. I kept asking, “Why are we doing this, there is going to be nothing to do!” They just replied and said, “We will find many fun things to do, don’t worry.” But I still knew I would die of boredom by the end of this trip.
When we drove for about five hours my mom started laughing randomly. I couldn’t figure out why, then she handed me, Randy, and Jaime a piece of paper folded up. I was slightly confused. She told each of us to open our piece of paper and show each other at the same time. We all looked at each other with a puzzled look, but opened it anyway. I could NOT believe what I saw in front of me, it couldn’t possibly be true! I looked at both Jaime and Randy’s piece of paper, and then asked my mom what was going on. She simply said, “I got you” and then she laughed. On each piece of paper was a part of a waterpark that we were apparently going too. It didn’t seem real, for five hours we thought we were going absolutely nowhere.

It turned out we went to Niagara Falls, Canada. Niagara Falls is right on the border of New York. Niagara Falls is a huge city with one of the biggest indoor waterparks in the world, and we got to stay there! The waterpark was on one side of the street about 5 stories high and the hotel was on the other side of the street, also about 5 stories high. There was a huge sky walk that connected the water park to the hotel. At night the sky walk lit up with colors such as, purple, green, blue, and pink. During the day, we stayed at the waterpark, and toured the city at night. On the last day we walked across the bridge and went into New York. We went to a couple shops and ate some burgers. I never knew hamburgers could cost almost twenty dollars! It’s crazy when you can go to McDonalds and get a hamburger for less than ONE dollar.

After New York we walked back across the bridge, to Niagara Falls. We went to the hotel and packed our stuff. Then, we headed home after a long week. It turned out that our vacation wasn’t so bad after all. It was actually one of my most memorable vacations I have been on so far in my life.