The Tortoise and the Hair | Teen Ink

The Tortoise and the Hair

December 19, 2011
By brann SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
brann SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

CHARACTERS
Tortoise
Hare

TIME:

Evening
PLACE:
The Forest
The audience find themselves in a friendly, luscious forest with talking woodland creatures running about.
AT RISE:
TORTOISE has just won the race. HARE is still in slight shock.
TORTOISE:
(TORTOISE has just passed the finish line.) Slowly does it every time!
HARE:
(In amazement and shock) Wha… what? How did… How did you beat me? You are just a slow turtle and I’m a… I’m a rabbit! I’m as fast as a speeding bullet!
TORTOISE:
It is not about speed, my friend.
HARE:
I see that now. Hey, congratulations!
TORTOISE:
Thank you.
HARE:
But explain to me how you beat me? How did you know you would?
TORTOISE:
Well, you were too conceited. You didn’t think you could ever be beaten. Also, you underestimated me. Just because I am not fast doesn’t mean I can’t win a race. Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to judge a tree by its bark? (Chuckles)
HARE:
I never thought about it that way. You know what?
TORTOISE:
What? (Jokingly) Did you realize winning isn’t everything? Or did it finally sink in that a turtle is faster than you?
HARE:
(Chuckles) No. But this race has taught me something.
TORTOISE:
(Interrupting) That you shouldn’t fall asleep during a race!
HARE:
(Rolls eyes) Very funny TORTOISE. I think we should do these little races every week. And have some of the other woodland creatures join us. It would be great exercise for all of us. And maybe I’ll learn how to stay awake during a race!
TORTOISE:
That’s a splendid idea! And we can tell everyone how a turtle was able to beat a rabbit!
HARE:
Slow but steady!
TORTOISE:
Yes! Yes. But now you must tell how you are able to sleep that long! (TORTOISE and HARE laugh together.)
HARE:
But seriously TORTOISE, I think we’ll really make an impact on the forest. We may even end up in story books!
TORTOISE:
And what would it be called ehh? When the Rabbit Got Beat By a Turtle!
HARE:
No silly! It would be called, Hare and Tortoise!
TORTOISE:
Hey! Why is your name first?!
HARE:
It’s alphabetical!
TORTOISE:
(Smug) I believe the winner’s name should be first!
HARE:
(Chuckling) Fair enough!
TORTOISE:
(Sarcastically) It is interesting how one little race can change lives!
HARE:
You joke now but you just wait! When it does happen I promise you I’ll be the first one to tell you, “I told you so!”
TORTOISE:
I’ll believe it when I see it!
HARE:
(Mockingly) “Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to judge a tree by its bark?”
TORTOISE:
Very funny HARE!
HARE:
(Sigh of relief) What a great day!
TORTOISE:
You have such a creative imagination HARE!
HARE:
Well, I am a child at heart!
TORTOISE:
That you are my friend, that you are. (Exeunt)