The Sky is the Limit | Teen Ink

The Sky is the Limit

December 4, 2011
By Anonymous

Get up on time for school; go hard; study hard; fight hard; never give up; stop beating up your sister; set goals for yourself; work as hard as you can to achieve those goals, so you don’t end up like me; don’t give an ignorant person your time; try new things; only use bleach on white clothes; don’t dry your bras; study for your test tomorrow so you don’t fail and end up like me; “Yeah right, because I’d ever let myself be anything like you.” Choose only gentlemen to date; when push comes to shove-push-hard; do what you have to do to make ends meet; family first; stick up for your little brother; do what is asked of you without asking questions; smile at people that hate you- it pisses them off; jealousy is hideous; don’t be afraid to get down and dirty; don’t get caught hanging around the wrong crowd; watch your mouth, you’re a lady- not a trucker; stay away from drugs, they put stress on your body; don’t ever throw the first punch; this is how you peel potatoes; this is how you make popcorn; this is how to feed the dog; don’t experiment with drugs- you might become addicted and end up just like me; “I would never let myself become what I watched you make of yourself.” Wait to have kids; wait to have sex; always use two packets of hot chocolate or it will taste watery; you will never use anything you learn in school-suck it up and learn it anyway; take care of your things; be civil with everyone- wither you like them or not; if you lie you get in more trouble; this is how to wrap a gift; this is how to pitch a softball; make friends with boys- girls have more drama; if you’re afraid to bring him home you shouldn’t be with him; start turning the wheel before you hit the gas; if you have any questions about what you’re learning, ask them so you understand the material, pass and don’t end up like me; brush your teeth after every meal; just say no; trust no one; don’t become a teacher- they don’t make enough money; “But mom I want to be a teacher.” You’re preparing yourself for your whole life now, so take it seriously; display yourself like a lady; don’t talk to me like that; don’t wear makeup- you look better without it; do good in school so you can take care of yourself and don’t have to rely on other people- like me; this is how to do the dishes; this is how to change a flat; this is how to fix a leaky faucet; dress warm; you need to do good in school so you can leave here- there’s no opportunities here; it’s the thought that counts; better start thinking of what college you want to go to now, “I was thinking I wanted to take a year off to figure everything out.” So you mean to tell me after everything I taught you you’re still going to slack off and end up just like me?


The author's comments:
This piece is advice that my parents have given me from the day I was born until now. I was inspired to write this by the author Jamaica Kincaid, who wrote the short story "Girl" which was advice her mother has given her throughout her life. Please let me know what you think.