Shadows | Teen Ink

Shadows

November 15, 2011
By Anonymous

I was the sunlight to begin with; it was magnificent there, and I always felt safe. The light was absolutely beautiful, but I didn’t know that at the time, I never noticed. I'd never known anything different; I'd been there as long as I could remember. Although I had a distant memory of shadows, I always told myself that must’ve been a dream.
I'd heard about the shadows though, I was always told to stay away. People go there and never come back, they tell me. Once you go in you don’t want to leave at first, but then when you do it’s too late.
One day I came upon the shadows. They didn’t look too bad, but I decided not to go in them. I told myself to be better safe than sorry. But, ever since I found them, they were always on my mind. I wondered what it was like in there. I wondered why it was so bad, and what was so great about the light anyway. But then I would tell myself that I shouldn’t be thinking things like that; it never worked though. I was almost always staring at the shadows, and when I wasn’t, I was thinking about them.
One day, when I was looking at the shadows, they seemed especially deep, and bigger than normal. They look so amazing I thought I wonder what they’re like.
Then I heard a voice coming from them. “Come into the shadows,” it says, “come in.” The voice is mesmerizing. But I didn’t follow. I told myself it was just my imagination, but it still scared me. So, I ran away from them as fast as I could.
The shadows were still always nagging at the back of my mind. I wondered if the voice was real or not. I didn’t tell anybody, though; everything I’d seen of the shadows I kept to myself.
I stayed away for a long time, but I never stopped thinking about them. They seemed so amazing, and beautiful. I’d never seen anything like them, yet they seem so familiar. I wondered if I saw them as a child, maybe I was meant to go back.
Then I finally gave into myself and I went back to see them again. I told myself that this would be the last time, and that I just wanted to see is the voice was real or not. Maybe it was somebody who needs to be saved I thought. Although I knew in my heart that I wasn’t going back to save someone; I was going back because of my curiosity.
When I got there the shadows seem even more amazing then I remembered. I stood there for a couple minutes just staring at them. They looked so intriguing.
Then I heard the voice again. “Come into the shadows.”
It’s real! I thought It sounds so wonderful! I have to follow it this time. So, I did.

I walked into the shadows, and it was wonderful. It made me feel great. I felt so relieved that I finally came in.

“Hello?” I said, “Is anybody there?”

“Yes,” the voice answered, “I’m here. Come further into the shadows.”

I listened to the voice, and walked further in. It sounded so friendly, I wanted to meet whoever that voice belonged to.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Come further in. I wanna be your friend. Come in.”

“But who are you?” I asked again, as I slowly kept walking toward the voice.

“I’m your friend. Come in.”

I was feeling a bit scared at this point. It was then that I remembered that I had been in the shadows before, but never this far, and it was a long time ago. I thought maybe it would be different this time, so I kept going. I looked back and I could still see the light, but not clearly. It was really far away, and looked very small.

“Do you have a name?” I asked nervously.

“Why so many questions?” the voice yelled. It didn’t sound beautiful any more. It sounded revolting.
“I want out!! I shouldn’t be here!” I said. But when I turned around I couldn’t see the light anymore. I couldn’t see anything.
I started running to try and find my way out of the shadows. I ran until I couldn’t run any more. Then drained and scared I looked up and I still couldn’t see the light.
“Why did you do this to me?” I yelled at the voice. “I thought you were my friend!”
Then something grabbed me I almost screamed, but I stopped myself. I thought I could get out of this without help.
It was pulling me further and further into the shadows, I struggled to get out of its tight grip, but I couldn’t do it. I’d never seen anything this dark before in my life, and it was getting darker.
Finally I screamed for help. But nobody heard me. “Help!” I screamed again. But still nobody heard me. One more time I desperately screamed, “HELP! I'm in the shadows! I made a mistake! Save me!”
Then I saw a light far off in the distance. It wasn’t like the light I had seen before, it was brighter. It looked like it was coming toward me; I desperately hoped going to save me.
But the shadows had such a tight hold on me that I couldn’t breathe; I’d used all the air I had in me to scream for help. I couldn’t see the light any more, and I couldn’t even feel the tight grip holding me. I was numb. Then I passed out. The last thing I remember thinking is I must be dying.
But then I woke up! I was still in the shadows, but it didn’t have me anymore. The light had me. His grip was also tight, but in a different way. It was tight in a way that He didn’t want to let me fall, but He didn’t want to hurt me either.
I tried to look up but the light was so bright that I couldn’t see Him. So, I just kept my eyes forward, hoping to see the light I came from up ahead of me.
Then, I saw it. My home; the light! He carried me out of the shadows to it. I’d never felt so happy in my life. I saw the beauty of the light that I’d forgotten.
He put me down outside the shadows in the safety of my home, and then He was gone. But I could still feel His presents with me. I couldn’t see Him anymore, but I knew He was there. I also knew in my heart that I would see Him again someday. I look forward to that day.


The author's comments:
People always seem to forget the things they've done in the past, instead of learning from them. There are shadows in everybody's life. What are yours?