The Rain | Teen Ink

The Rain

November 15, 2011
By poetfan96 PLATINUM, Syracuse, Nebraska
poetfan96 PLATINUM, Syracuse, Nebraska
25 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you dont have to be what you dont want to be"
-?


One day, it vanished. Every single piece of trash on earth disappeared. Trash cans, garbage trucks, landfills, ditches, and every other place on earth was now free from trash. The world now had a clean refreshing feel to it.
People still accumulated trash, but it vanished before their eyes. An ’87 mustang roared down I-95 and the driver threw his now empty soda can out the window. With a bright flash, it vanished as it hit the ground! This life continued for 40 days and then, on day 41 the largest massacre of human life began. It all started with, The Rain! Slowly but surely a steady downpour began, and after 10 minutes, it was over, or so we thought!
The downpour continued, but was no longer rain water, it was now trash! All of the trash that had once disappeared was now falling down upon the human race. People were being smashed by old cars and furniture. Others were buried in mounds of rotten leftovers, and this great pain continued for another 39 days. 39 more days of people being smothered in animal feces and chocked by pop can dividers. After those 39 days were over, earth was then a planet covered in piles of trash and human bodies. Then, in the blink of an eye, it disappeared. And a new era of human life began, and slowly but surely, the trash built up again. Life went on just like it was before, until… One day, it vanished. Every single piece of trash on earth disappeared.


The author's comments:
This piece was inspired by litter on the highway, when we litter the trash is "out of sight, out of mind" so it in a way disappears, but the trash is adding up and it my eventually "rain" down on us.