You Broke Me, So I'll Break You Back

Walls pressed up against me.

A white light, tempting me.

Blinking away the grogginess, a soft groan escaped my lips. My hand shot up to pinch my forehead as I inhaled a shaky breath. It felt like something was hammering against my skull, like my head was the Bell of Norte Dame. I could even hear ringing in my ears. Back pressed against a cool surface, I tried to figure out where the he** I was. Pain exploded throughout my body as I attempted to move my legs. Broken, I thought sourly as I craned my neck around, taking in the sight.

I was at the bottom of the wishing well. Wonderful. Just where I always wanted to be.

Scowling and spitting curses under my breath, I wiggled my bottom in the cool water and peered up at the top of the well through drenched brown strands of hair.

Something, a silhouette of a human being, loomed over me. I sighed in relief, feeling my voice crack as I spoke.

“Hey.” My arms felt leaden, like someone had tied 50 pound dumbbells to my arms, so I shrugged my shoulders persistently. “Hey. Could you help me here? I’ve seemed to have fallen into the wishing well.”

A cold shiver ran up my spine as the person gave no reply, no indication that they even heard my pleas. I tried again, determined not to die in this putrid hole. Choking on vomit, I flung my right arm- my broken right arm, if you care to know- in the air and bit down on my tongue to stop myself from crying out.

“Hey,” I said forcefully, my brows furrowed. “Did you hear me? I asked for some help here. I think I broke my right arm and my legs. I can’t move.”

No reply.

Just endless silence that stretched on, like a rubber band taut and close to snapping.

“Hello Amelia.”

And just like that, everything snapped into place. My face paled. My mouth fell open in horror as I wriggled desperately, a raw scream leaving my mouth.

“YOU.” I screamed again, this time in pain. My legs, bent at an awkward, unnatural angle, slipped from under me and I slid down the wall. Fingers clawing at the wall for purchase, I curled into a protective ball, a prayer on my lips. My eyes widened in terror as I stared up at the silhouette. “What did you do to me?!”

The light reflected off the figure's face, revealing a devilish smile, curling blond hair, and piercing blue eyes full of malice.

“The same thing you did to me!” he hissed as he leaned over the railing to flash me another cruel smile. Ice flowed into my veins as I flinched away from his stare, trying to find a way to escape this prison.

“I broke you.”

I screamed, just as the edges of my vision grew black. The last thing I saw was him, his blue eyes ablaze and his smile still in place on his demonic face.

He'd finally gotten his revenge.

I was broken.

alluneedislove3 said...
Wow. The last work out of the five you said to read, but now I'm reading more. I hooked on your work, Snowflake. I REALLY AND TRULY AM. Thank you, I have just spent a good amount of my day reading some amazing work. And, to talk about the story. Full of emotion and questions, and I would love to read more perhaps explaining it. Truthfully, your work is amazing. I AM A FAN!!

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 31, 2011 at 8:53 am
wow. this is shockingly creepy, the picture is perfect- and the dialogue is great! I'd like to know more about this though.

wilderose121 said...
fcd! this was disturbingly wonderful! 5/roses