What Ever Happened to Happily Ever After? | Teen Ink

What Ever Happened to Happily Ever After?

By NorthernDownpour BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
NorthernDownpour BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

"A painter paints on canvas, but a musician paints on silence."

[The stage is set like a gloomy day. There is a handsome young man who is in a military uniform on stage left. On stage right there is a young woman (who is about the same age as the man). Their eyes meet and both smile at the same time; they walk towards the center. They hold hands and walk for a moment, another soldier enters stage left and gives the first young man a note and points to his watch. Both soldiers exit stage left; the man and woman holding hands for as long as possible. The stage fades to black.

When the lights come up the older version of the woman is sitting on stage right.]
“That was the day we met.”
[She says with a bittersweet tone, smiling yet looking sad.]

“That was the moment that everything changed; it was love at first sight. I knew he was the one for me from that one single moment.”

[The stage goes black; when the lights come back on we are in a small chapel. The walls are white with two windows. It is very plain and small inside. The woman (the young version) is in a wedding dress standing with her soldier in front of a priest. The woman puts a gold band on his left hand ring finger; he does the same with a diamond ring and gold band. They kiss.
The stage goes black. When the lights return the audience sees the older woman sitting on stage left.]

“That was the best day of my entire life, my wedding day. It was the first anniversary of the day that we met. It was perfect; all my dreams come true, in one single moment, marring my hero. The next day he returned to what tore us apart, the Persian Gulf War.”

[She stares off into space with a sad expression. The stage fades to black.
When the lights come back on, the stage is set half inside of a house (on stage right); and half outside (stage left). Inside is a warm looking entry hallway; outside it is a gloomy day. The younger woman is inside sweeping; outside a different soldier comes to the door. He is very tall, and dark hair is peeking out from under his hat. His navy blue uniform has many medals. He does not smile. She answers the door hastily, as if she is expecting some one; she smiles until she sees him, then her smile immediately changes to a worried look. The soldier takes off his hat and looks her in her big brown eyes. We see him mouth the words ‘I am so sorry’ and he sheds a single tear that falls onto his shinny black shoes. Her dark brown hair falls onto her face. Then she collapses onto the soldier’s shoulder sobbing; her expression is horrifying as if someone just ripped her heart out. She is left searching for breath.
The stage goes black. When the lights come back on one last time we see the older version of the woman sitting on stage left. She looks at her wedding ring.]
“That was the worst moment, hour, and day of my life. Twenty years to the day you have been gone, and every day has been a struggle. Ever since that soldier came to my door, my life has not been the same. Every moment is empty without you here. My life came tumbling down in one single moment. You left just as quickly as you came. You are a hero, and I am left here alone fighting my own war.”
[She starts to sob.]
“They all said it would get better with time, but that isn’t true. Everyone has seemed to have forgotten, put their grief in the past. But I can’t; I don’t have your strength. It isn’t fair I didn’t get that much time with you. Five years is a blink of an eye. I am jealous of that war, and I’m mad at that war because that’s where most your time was spent instead of with me.
When you left you took half of my heart with you. How can I ever be whole again? You were my entire life. Every moment you were at war, was filled with my thoughts of you. All the prayers, every letter, and phone conversation was what I lived for.
I still wait for your calls sometimes, forgetting then remembering and suffering your loss all over again. When the phone rings or when I get the mail, I get excited still, and then I am crushed.
I wanted to have a child with you so much. Sometimes I would imagine what a little girl would look like with your eyes, and my hair; or I would think of names for a boy. Thinking of us raising a child together, and having a little miracle of our own, we could have been a perfect family.”
[She looks up hysterically crying.]
“What ever happened to happily ever after?”
[The stage goes black.]

Thanks Bee! I love you!!

grell said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 8:50 am
Its so touching and to think i know the author . I love it so much !! Your a great writer ! <3

bbcpaleale said...
Very touching story and posted so close to vertrens day, I'm sure there are a lot of women (and men) that have shed tears.......