This is Them | Teen Ink

This is Them

October 24, 2011
By directorchick419 GOLD, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
directorchick419 GOLD, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
15 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd wanted to stay on that porch with him until the sun shone bright on both of us, but i didn't. I stood up and walked down the steps. I'd rather chase the sun than wait for it." from I am the Messanger by Markus Zusak.


We lack courage. Courage is the reality of whom people are; they are great. The only difference between them and us is that we are merely actors. We are the best at our trade, none can find fault in our performance, a crack in our smooth masks. Everything perfect, all that is noble, everything they want to see, they can find in us. We have the face of a warrior, the heart of a hero, and the stance of fighters. But it is only the exterior, clothing we shed every night. Shrinking into our beds, we pull the covers tight over our heads, over our eyes, our ears. Each night we are the deaf, we are the blind, refusing the foreignness of everything but the echoes of our own thoughts. When we lie alone, naked in the darkness, the truth is revealed: We are fearful of the Light.


The author's comments:
The authenticity of people is something to question. Questioning should not be mistaken for doubting. It is just searching a bit deeper for the truth. I can question other's authenticity, because I know mine is often faked. I'm afraid of being real.