The Boy Named Hope

I glanced at the solemn sky and prayed for rain. It was a vain hope; I knew no rain would come. I had lived here, in this waste land for two weeks. Two long, never ending weeks. I lived here by myself. I had no idea how I had gotten here, I just remember waking up in the dark.
The only thing here that comforted me was the memories. I had very few, but I treasured them. There were places, small pictures –like a glimpse of something- that had no apparent meaning to me. And then, there were the faces. They were nameless. I had no obvious reason to even remember them, but they were the strongest memories.
Every time I saw them, a feeling in my stomach overtook me. I felt as though I should know who these people where, and I should know what they meant to me. But I didn’t. A single tear slipped down my cheek as I remembered my favorite memory; the one I cherished above all others.
It was a small boy. He had light brown hair, and a small patch of freckles around is nose. His smile; I wanted desperately to know why he was so happy. He had large, chocolate eyes that seemed to smile too. I could hear the laugh that escaped from his mouth; it was like velvet, or a babbling stream. It bubbled forth and brought so much emotion to me, and it made me even more frustrated that I could not remember him.
I had searched the entire house, looking for something that would give me some clue as to where I was. This place was in my memories, but again there was no name. It was a small house that was connected to a barn, nothing special about either. The house was faded in contrast to my memories; something tugged at the back of my mind. Something had happened here. I could tell.
I went to the small pantry and grabbed a can of peaches. Whoever had lived here before had stocked up on canned goods. I had plenty to eat, but I was quickly running out of water. There had been two small barrels in the cellar that contained water when I had arrived, and I was already on the last one. None of the faucets worked, and rain had not come.
I spent my days going through the house and barn, trying to find something meaningful. I wandered into the barn only half thinking about what I was doing. I knew I would not find anything here. if there had been anything, surely I would have found it already. I ran my fingers along the groves in the wall absentmindedly, thinking of the boy from my memories.
He appeared in many of them; always laughing and smiling. There was only one memory where he was sad. I wanted to know why he was upset, just as much as I wanted to know why he was happy. His sad eyes seemed to bore into my soul; I immediately shoved the memory back.
Then I felt it.
Something had changed in the grove of the wall. I backed up and looked.
A small square the size of my fist was flat and different than the rest of the wall. I pressed it several times and finally, it gave in. inside of the hole was a single picture. It was of the little boy in my memories. I remembered this one; it was my favorite memory of him. The one I thought of the most often. I looked at the bottom of the picture and felt a wave of emotion. A single word was scrawled on it, and that word gave me something I had been looking for since I got here; hope. I clutched the picture to my chest and cried, for the boy in my pictures was no longer nameless.
That was my brother. He was my hope.

guardianofthestars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, very creative!! I agree with Apollo7 I wish there was more background story so I could read more :D

Emma-Riley replied...
thanks! i guess that means i have some writing to get started on... haha! thankyou so much!

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so good, just wish I had more backround!

Emma-Riley replied...
what do you mean about backround?

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I just mean that I want to know why the narrator can't remember things or what happened to her brother or where she even is. I get the whole she's trying to figure it out thin, but it needs a little more for me feel part of the story

WrittenEmotions said...
Sooooo good! (:

Emma-Riley said...
Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:31 am
Hello Emma yes this your friend panda on your account as you sit right next to me oblivious to my commenting on this story. I LOVE THIS. hopefully you see this sooner then later