Crack in the Wall This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She's yelling at me for saying something disrespectful.I'm busy staring at the crack in the wall and trying to concentrate on somethingelse. All I can think is, I can't wait to turn 18. I'm moving out. They are waytoo strict.

When she stops screaming for a moment, I jump in and say outloud what I was just thinking. Her face drops. His becomes angry andintimidating. Immediately, I wish I could take it back.

I shouldapologize. Instead, trying to fix the situation but failing miserably, I digmyself a king-size hole. I begin to go on and on about how unfairly I'm treated.I can't stop the stream of mean comments coming from my mouth. I shouldapologize. But I don't. I just keep going. I think, Maybe if I can justify myreasons for feeling this way, what I said would be okay. I am wrong.

Mymom looks so hurt. I hate being the one who hurts her. I begin to realize theseverity of what I said. I can't take it back. For such a long time she hasn'tknown I have been miserable in the house; now I've completely shocked her. But Ididn't mean it.

Next time, I think I'll just keep staring at the crack inthe wall.

Poppop222 said...

Needs more to the story and spacing in some places needs to be fixed but good work