Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

“So… will we see each other again?” Elizabeth sniveled, holding my hands within hers.

I laughed. “Of course we will, silly.” I squeezed her hands reassuringly. “It’s only a summer away, after all. It’s just camp. And you can call me whenever you want.”

“Oh, I will,” she said, laughing slightly through her tears. “But… I’m still gonna miss you.”

My gaze softened as I stared at her. “I’ll miss you too.”

I leaned forward and gave her something of a kiss; really, it was more of a brush of my lips against hers. I didn’t want it to be one of those lingering kisses meant to last a whole summer. That would have been way too dramatic for me.

Whatever. She seemed satisfied.

I didn’t offer to walk her home. I knew Lyndsey was going to call within the next fifteen minutes. God knows I didn’t want Elizabeth to be there when that happened.

But damn, it hurt watching her standing there.

She really was pretty. She had that girl-next-door look about her: brown eyes, brown hair, perfect smile. Basically the whole package. But… sometimes perfect got a little boring, y’know? I wanted something a little different. Not necessarily better, but different. Just to see what it would be like.

That didn’t make me a bad person, did it?

I was maybe halfway home when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I didn’t even bother to glance at the ID; I knew exactly who it would be. “Hey, baby.”

I was answered by a kittenish giggle. “Oh gosh,” came Lyndsey’s sultry voice.

A wolfish grin spread across my face. “So what’s the deal?”

Her voice came in a rush. “They’re not home. They’ll be gone all weekend, I think. It’ll just be you and me.”

“Excellent.” My grin widened. “I’ll be over soon, okay baby?”

“Okay.” I could almost hear her smiling over the phone. The thought of it only heightened the anticipation.

“Love you.” It was a lie. A line only spoken to keep her interested, keep her coming back.

She giggled again. “Love you too.” I doubted she meant it either.

At least, I hoped she didn’t. God knows I wasn’t in this for love.

It didn’t take me long to walk to her house. There was no light in any of the windows. I stood in the driveway and waited for signs of life. Soon enough, a flash of red-orange caught my eye. My wolfish smile returned as Lyndsey came into full view, swinging her long red hair behind her. Her lips curved upward seductively, returning my smile.

“Baby,” I murmured, drawing her close. Those lips tasted just as good as they looked. Lyndsey’s wrists crossed themselves at the back of my neck as she pressed her body against me. Her lush hair swayed as her head tilted, opposite to mine; fitting in like a puzzle.

It was as close to a perfect moment as I could remember. I hoped it would last forever.

As soon as the thought crossed my mind, the earth shattered.

“I hate you!”

The words cut through the humid air like a lightning bolt. I detached my lips from Lyndsey’s just in time to see Elizabeth’s tearstained face, twisted with pain and anger; before she turned away. She began running down the street, mouse-brown hair swinging behind her.

I wanted to call after her. I wanted to say something like “It’s not what you think!”

But I think I’d gone over my lie quotient for the day.