More than just a ghost | Teen Ink

More than just a ghost

July 19, 2011
By TheDarkAngelGirl GOLD, Staten Island, New York
TheDarkAngelGirl GOLD, Staten Island, New York
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"When you come to the edge of all that you know, you must believe one of two things: either there will be ground to stand on, or you will be given wings to fly."
— O.R. Melling (The Summer King)


He was more than just a ghost in her mind now. The shadow that tormented her in waking life and when she closed her eyes to sleep. She forgot what peace was like, how to feel happiness, and how the word "soothing" felt. She had to run away, to escape, to fly, to run, to flee. She had to get away from the thoughts that threatened to consume her. "I must survive." The only thought she clung to now, the one that continued to bring breath to her lungs. She stuffed her hand in her coat pocket and pulled out her Ipod. It was the last thing she had of the old world, the place where she was born. Now all that was left was a desolate wasteland... and him. "Stop torturing me! STOP!" She clasped her hands to her ears in an effort to block the sneers and crude comments that were forcing their way into her mind. She wanted to drill a hole into her brain to stop them, to silence them, to set herself free. "No, I can't. I won't let you have me." She took the headphones and jammed them in her ears, turned the Ipod on, and set the volume to full blast.

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end it doesn't even matter
I had to fall to lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

Running, she just kept running. No matter how fast she did, though, he was always one step behind her. Calling her name, mocking her, mimicking her frightened whimpers. He hated her, that had to be why he did this to her, why he continued to haunt her with his very existence. Did he exist? Did she? Was this a nightmare she just couldn't wake from? The thought scared her more than the darkness did so she had to force her thoughts elsewhere. "Back to the music, I'll think back to the music."

And you can't stop me
From falling apart
Cause my self-destruction is all your fault
How could you
How could you hate me
When all I ever wanted
To be was You

"I'm sorry!" She screamed aloud. "For whatever it was that I did to deserve this, I'm sorry!" That's when she saw it, the giant meteor, engulfed in flames, coming straight towards her. All at once she saw the past, present and future. She re-lived all that ever was, all that ever could have been. Tears rolled down her cheeks at the realization that was before her: "I'm finally being set free." With that last thought she smiled and closed her eyes, holding her hands together and bringing them to her chest she dropped to her knees.

My sanctuary
My sanctuary
Where fears and lies melt away

The meteor met with the earth and from that moment on she thought no more, breathed no more, was no more.
From that moment on
It was the End.

The author's comments:
I tend to be in a dark mood and this is just one of many outcomes of that feeling. The three songs mentioned are:
In the End - Linkin Park
Open Wounds - Skillet
Sanctuary - Utada Hikaru