I've Got the Magic | Teen Ink

I've Got the Magic

By Ghena BRONZE, Pleasanton, California
Ghena BRONZE, Pleasanton, California

"We want happiness, we don't want pain, but how do you make a rainbow without a little rain?" -Anonymous

Boom!

“Ahh! What’s going on in here? Geezus…you can’t get a peaceful night around here without someone shaking my stupid lamp aka MY HOUSE,” The genie retorted to him self.

“Andrew you need to clean your room, put back my exquisitely bedecked lamp on the shelf, oh and wash that disgusting glue off your fingers. Or else…the genie that lives inside will come out and scare you if you don’t do all your chores!” Andrew’s mom taunted playfully.

Andrew laughed nervously; he was ten years old yet the words his mother said shook him vigorously. Trying to stay calm, Andrew looked at the vase deeply and sighed. After all, his mother was just kidding, so why should he be scared?

Genies don’t exist
Genies don’t exist
Genies don’t exist…

He chanted inside his mind. Andrew picked up the vase once more, this time more calm and relaxed. The vase was a light purple color and it had gold tulips painted on the bottom; then on the bottom, the stems of the flowers continued and formed a intertwined heart. Andrew knew his mother would come in and see that he had not done any of his chores, so he tried to gently put down the vase but the glue that was stuck to his fingers wouldn’t detach from the vase. Losing focus and getting frustrated, Andrew swung his arm at the wall and the lamp departed from his fingers, slamming into the wall. The lamp stayed in perfect condition; however a blue blob arose from the lamp and emerged into the air.

“What do you think you’re doing? I am trying to have a nice lunch but I can’t seem to because when I try to take a bite of my salad, my table is in the air!” The genie screamed with fury.

Andrew gapped and looked intensely at the blue blob that was floating in the air, talking to him. The genie had a small, black hat that was crested with red jewels bordering the bottom. He was a light blue color with thin black hair that was tied into a slick, tight pony tail. Not to mention, that he was big with bulging muscles and two gold cuffs around his wrists.

“WELL? Do you have anything to say to me? A word that rhymes with dorry?” The genie spitted out with an eyebrow rose.

“I’m…I’m sorry sir?” Andrew sputtered out questionably.

“You better be sorry. And its Jase, kid,” Jase responded with an unpleasant tone.

“What?”

My name is Jase. Not sir or Mr. Genie or any other stupid name that you children come up with nowadays.”

“Oh…well Jase I’m sorry that I threw your house, but I’m not sorry for calling you sir. And if you are a genie or should I say a rude genie, than you should be able to do magic and get another table or whatever.” Andrew said in a sassy tone.

“OHHHHH WOW. You mister should not be using that tone with me! And by the way Mr. Sassy pants, I CAN do magic… I just don’t feel like using my energy!”

“Why should I believe you?”

“Well does the fact that I just came out of a lamp give you enough proof that you need, Sherlock?”

“No. You could be a figment of my imagination. I read about it in one of my mom’s books!”

“FINE.”

Magic, magic, magic
Magic, magic, magic
Magic, magic, magic
I’ve got the magic in me!

The genie hummed loudly.

“Now I can do my magic. I’ll grant you any three wishes you want, and prove to you that I am 100 percent a genie,” Jase crackled.

“Really? Omg! I want three wishes! Please, please, please!” Andrew cried with delight.

“Alright. What do you want?”

“My room to be cleaned, a cheese pizza, and for this not to be a dream,” Andrew shouted.

Poof! The room was cleaned.
Bam! A cheese pizza appeared.
Error.