The Storm | Teen Ink

The Storm

June 8, 2011
By Finchy BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida
Finchy BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 9 comments

It's 4:45 PM and the wind is gusting, creating a symphony of rustling leaves and trash cans being violently blown down the street. As the pressure drops, I feel it in my head, the sensation of relief before the impending storm. I can smell the rain as the nimbus clouds surround my home; it smells fantastic as the first few drops begin to descend upon my body. Suddenly, everything stops; it seems as if the entire world is holding its breath, waiting for the first strike of lightning to connect the heavens with earth. I hear a dog whining as he cowers beneath a bush, trapped in his owner's backyard. The first bolt strikes, sending goosebumps down my spine, covering my body and sending tingling sensations back to my brain stem. The first few drops of rain are heavy, drenching my hair, and as the storm matures, the rain becomes thin, like needles piercing my skin as they fly at a forty-five degree angle to the ground. I'm not sure why, but I continue to stand there, looking up into the sky in wonder at this magnificant gift that mother nature has bestowed on the drought ridden earth. I stare at a puddle, noticing the optical illusion that is created when water droplets splash into a still pool of water, creating a scene where water is shooting out of the puddle and into the sky. This is the best I've ever felt. It's cool outside, and the perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen atoms seems to wash away all my anxiety. I wish it would rain forever. The rain is gathering fast, overflowing the sewers and flooding my road and yard. I don't know what has come over me, but I instictively lie down in the middle of the newly formed river and begin to giggle as I feel my head obstructing the water's natural flow. The water engulfs me, and I begin to float down the temporary creek, lying on my back, like a seventy-five year old retiree in the lazy river of a water park. By now, I can't stop laughing; I've taken the common idiom, "Go with the flow," to a whole new level. All my problems seem to have been washed away with everyting else in this fantastic flash flood. I feel happiness for the first time in almost four years. This storm has done something for me that none of the psychologists could achieve. I realize that out of the hundreds of hours I've spent in therapy, I've never broken through like I have now. This newfound buoyancy, like a fisherman's bobber, has forced me above the surface, sending me crashing through the membrane that I had previously created to seperate me from the outside world. My depression no longer restrains me, and I lean forward, clenching my abdomen which has cramped up from thirty minutes of none stop laughter. As I sit up, my body sinks into the water, which by now is an unkown depth, and I am swallowed whole in a matter of seconds. The water drowns out the rest of the world, creating a peaceful serenity. Astonished by the surprisingly low temperature of the water, I gasp and inhale an irreversible amount of water. I feel my lungs fill with liquid and start to drown. Although I've heard people describe it as horrific before, I never imagined it like this. I am extremely panicked, but as my oxygen starved body begins to shut down, I feel an overwhelming sense of peace. Even during my final moments, I smile at the irony that presents itself with drowning, being killed by the very thing that our lives depend on. The water becomes darker now, until I completely black out. As I lose consiousness and descend into the eternal darkness that is death, I've never been happier...


The author's comments:
I wrote this short story during a particularly romantic thunder storm. Although the storm was based off of an actual event, it was written as an extended allegory for events that were taking place at the time of its creation.