blessing or burrden? | Teen Ink

blessing or burrden?

May 24, 2011
By murderous16mia SILVER, St. Peters, Missouri
murderous16mia SILVER, St. Peters, Missouri
5 articles 1 photo 2 comments

“God you’re a lot of trouble … ‘I could get along so easy and nice if I didn’t have on my tail. I could live so easy and maybe have a girl.” George repeatedly says this quote in the novel reminding the reader of the life he could have. Even though they were not related, George cared for Lennie like he was his own little brother. On the other hand, George additionally felt that his life could be so much more fulfilling and normal without the burden of taking care of Lennie. Consistently losing jobs; and moving most of the time, was frustrating for George. He felt as if Lennie was holding him back from life. In the end, the burden of taking care of another person’s life is a challenge that some people like George didn’t even get the choice to make.

Meanwhile the pain of seeing an opportunity for a normal life kept slipping away time and time again. This is the reason for why George gets so angry at Lennie for everything he does. “Whatever we ain’t got that’s what you want, god almighty if I was alone I could live so easy. I could get a job an’ work, an’ no trouble. No mess at all.” George loves Lennie with all his heart, but just like a little brother/sister, they always manage to do something that makes things so difficult. Along with getting into trouble and, making a mess, they can make life a living hell! George and Lennie is a perfect example of this; George tried as hard as he could to make his life a living dream, but Lennie made life a living hell.

Taking care of somebody along the lines of Lennie’s condition can make it especially hard to keep a job. George and Lennie were constantly moving from job to job; place to place. They couldn’t stay anywhere for too long because Lennie always managed to stir up trouble. “And whatta I got, I got you! You can’t keep a job and you lose me ever’ job I get.” George and Lennie had a dream, to get a house and live off the land. This was extremely hard to accomplish this dream because they couldn’t even earn enough money to go to the bar because of Lennie. George throughout the book yells and screams at Lennie, but deep down he really loves him, and enjoys his company.

After Weed George took no hesitation in scolding at Lennie, because just like a child; when in the wrong needs to be corrected at that very second. When reading this novel George may seem as a complete and total jerk, but it was all in the best intrest of Lennie. He had to be mean to keep Lennie in line. In hope that they wouldn’t have to move agian for a childish mistake that Lennie had made. Jus’ keep shovin’ all over the country all the time. An’ that ain’t the worst. You get in trouble. you do bad things and i got to get you out’ ... You crazy son-of-a-b****.” Lennie meant no harm in the things he done, he just didn’t know any better. Like a kid mistakes are made and hopefully can be forgivein, but in Lennies case strong, childish, and not knowing any better didn’t work out in his favor.

Finally we end in the river bed agian where Lennie was so proud of himself, because he remebered where George said to go if he go into any trouble. Lennie sits at the river bank in sorrow knowing what he did was wrong, but more worried about George not letting him tend to the rabbits. George appears and makes sure that Lennie understands that everything will be alright, George now knows what he has to do and is about to make the biggest decisison of his life. George goes back to the ranch head down and full of regret, He knows that it will never be the same agian, but maybe now he can live a normal life. Slim reasures George that he did the right thing, but did he? Was lennie’s life a blessing or a burden?


The author's comments:
this is and essay i wrote for my english class on the book of mice and men i worked hard on it i hope yall like it:)