Emerging from the Shadows | Teen Ink

Emerging from the Shadows

By Chenzie SILVER, Nashville, Tennessee
Chenzie SILVER, Nashville, Tennessee

"You never forget the face of the person who was your last hope." Katniss Everdeen

I’m at home in my bedroom; I am talking so that no one else can hear (I have a slight tendency to talk to myself.)

First, I should probably tell you a little about myself: “Hi, I’m Megan,” I say into a mirror, as if I’m the star of my own reality T.V. show—I wish. “This is my life, with a sister that is bossy and full of herself. Even worse, she’s a star; a movie star. Her name is Hailey. There are cameramen and fans outside right now. See?” I point out the window.

“It gets annoying, sometimes. I admit it, I wish I was famous, too, but that won’t happen. So I have to go through life trying to get noticed.”

As Hailey walks up, I say to her, “Here’s my annoying sister now. Care to say a few words for the crowd?”

“Hey, Sis. Want to know why I hate coming into your room?”

“Why?” I mutter as I roll my eyes and sigh. She gets really annoying when it comes to these types of things—she just doesn’t know when to actually keep her opinions to herself.

“Because it looks more out of fashion every time I come inside it.” Hailey says and pastes that evil, sly, cat-like smile onto her face.

“See what I mean? She just comes in and cuts me down. She has a new boyfriend every week! That’s how she treats them, too. I’m thirteen, and she’s sixteen. To her, I’m three.”

Surprisingly, Hailey decides to completely avoid me whenever I talk like I’m the star. She thinks that since it’s so impossible, when I’m doing that, it’s best to pretend that I’m not there.

“Wow, you treat me better every day.” I snap.

“So, are you coming to my concert tonight?” Hailey asked as she glared at the newest pimple on my forehead.

“Sorry. I have a sleepover with Christina, remember? Wait,” I was getting carried away, but, why stop now? “Why would you? You’re too busy in your own world, the one that doesn’t include me. So, no, I am not coming.”

“Fine, but I bet your loser friend just invited you because she feels bad for you. Oh, no!” Hailey cried, here eyes growing wide.

“What?” I asked.

“I just realized I needed a complete manicure. Mom! Call Chi-Chi, and schedule an appointment!”

This is the part when you can really; really see how stuck-up my big sister is. She just yells for Mom to get her an appointment for something and…Boom! She has an appointment for something.

“Guess what? You know what I think you should do?” I asked.

“What?” she replied, to oblivious to my question.

“Get out of my room!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. Some might think that the camera crews would stop talking and try to hear the conversations going on through the open window, but they were too loud themselves to notice a sound.

She just looked up and tilted her head. “Huh?”

I wasn’t in a mood to repeat myself. “Out!” I pointed at the door, edging her out. When she was in the hallway, but just barely, she mumbled, “Are you—” I didn’t let her finish what she was saying because I slammed the door in her face.

I went back to my mirror, to continue my reality T.V. talk.

“Now you know what I have live with. I hope school is better this year than last. I mean, I’m pretty popular at school, partly because my sister is famous, which gives me some points. I need to embrace it while I can. The only thing is that I don’t know if I even have a real friend or if they’re just trying to get closer to Hailey.”

Mom knocked on the door and told me to get ready for school. I ignored her.

“Today is the first day of the eighth grade. I heard that I have the best teachers—well, according to the grades they give.”

Just then, a car horn honks outside.

“That’s my ride. I can’t wait to see who is in my class this year…It can make all the difference.”

As I walk down the truly hated house stairs, my mom is waiting at the kitchen table, with a box of doughnuts.

“Bye, honey. I hope you have a good first day of eighth grade.
Mom yells upstairs to Dad as I’m gathering my stuff to go. “Rob! Megan is about to leave! Come down and tell her goodbye!”

“I’ll be there in a minute, Erin.” My Dad replies in that low, scruffy voice of his.
“Bye, sweetie, I’ll see you after school.”
“All right. I love you, Mom. Love you, Dad. Hey, did you install the cable box in my room?” I ask Dad, just now remembering; I have a T.V. and a computer in my room now! Yay!

Dad, having already turned his attention to the now-open doughnut box, barely heard my question, and he didn’t turn around to answer it.

“Huh? Oh, yes, honey. If you want to bring over a friend to try out your new T.V., you can.”
“Really? Thanks so much!” I screeched, and ran over to give him a hug.

Then I hear the car horn honk again. Not long after, I walk out into the big, open, dreaded place called my world. It’d be a lot more likeable, though, if Hailey wasn’t here.

And, when I thought about it, I was a lot like a puppy. Cute, adorable, likeable, the whole bit. But when had either of us ever had the opportunity to make a choice? That's right: never.

My friends helped inspire this piece-not they're stuck or anything, if that's what I said. Is that what I said?