Dear Luna, | Teen Ink

Dear Luna,

May 12, 2011
By Brooke-Rose BRONZE, Sturgis, South Dakota
Brooke-Rose BRONZE, Sturgis, South Dakota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth it brings!"
=)


Hi, my name is Estrella Star, princess of Ooberville. I am here to tell you of my life as a princess. It is quite an interesting story to be honest. I had a diary when I was young which I wrote in every night. I named it Luna. I would tell Luna everything. What I was learn from my tutor, which prince I had a crush on at that moment, but most importantly the little things like what I had for breakfast that morning. I loved that diary. It was the only thing I had to look forward to sometimes, especially when situations in the castle got tough. For instance, when my dad was sick, I had all these emotions built up inside me that I needed to share but no one would listen, no one but Luna.


Like I said, I am here to tell you of a story, my story. How my life went from spectacular to crazy, from royalty to lost, from lost to found.
_____________________________________________________________________________

I am going to start from the beginning, from the event that started it all.

April 9, 2007
Dear Luna,




Only three more days! I can’t believe that I will soon be seventeen! My mother wants to throw me a huge get together, well that’s what she calls it but it is actually a party. Everyone is going to be invited, princess Teewa, prince Hukey, everybody. I am super excited! I will be sure to tell you every detail.
Yours Truly,
Estrella


April 10, 2007
Dear Luna,


You can’t even believe what happened to me today at breakfast! Everything started normal. Same seat, same food, same start of a conversation between my mother and I, all the same. She starts with “Good morning Estrella, how did you sleep?” I say, “Great” or sometimes “fine” depending on my mood. Then we talk about school and what I might do that day. After that it is silent until one of us finishes, usually me, and leaves, but today the conversation did not end and I was not the one to leave first. Today mother brought up a new conversation and it is not one that I am willing to talk about.


Out of the blue, mother says, “I cannot postpone this conversation any longer Estrella. You must find a husband. It is the tradition. It is your time. You are turning seventeen in two days and with that come big responsibilities. Because your father is not with us, our people need a king and the only way to do that is for you to marry, soon! King Pacco came yesterday and said that it is law for a woman your age to find a husband in our situation, which is true. He said that if you do not marry in the next three months, he will take our thrown and claim it as his own!”


Three months! She is crazy! How am I supposed to find a man to marry and become king in that short of time? It is impossible!


I don’t know what to do. I feel like I need to leave! Run away! I am so confused, emotionally and mentally. I… I just don’t know.
Yours Truly,
Estrella


April 11, 2007
Dear Luna,


Tomorrow is it. My seventeenth. I was once excited but now I’m not so sure. I’m not sure if I should be excited or worried. Excited that I have made it through another year of life and worried that after tomorrow I only have three months to find a man! I still can’t believe that happened! Today mother didn’t even talk to me at breakfast. It was silent the entire time.


I’m just worried about what will happen tomorrow when everyone comes. I wonder what my mother will say. I wonder if she will bring up the topic. I know that King Pacco is invited to the party. What if he confronts me? What will I say? What will I do? Who knows? I guess we will all find out tomorrow.
Yours Truly,
Estrella


April 12, 2007

BIRTHDAY!
Dear Luna,
Oh My Goodness!!! I must start from the beginning.


I woke up to my room being full of balloons and streamers! I must admit, it looked awesome! Then I go downstairs and look outside to where the party will be. I could see more decorations but ten times better that my room.

Around ten o’clock the guests started to arrive. Everybody showed up, even King Pacco. We didn’t even make eye contact throughout the entire party but I did see him and my mother talking a lot.

The party went very smoothly. People brought gifts, my favorite was a chocolate diamond headband, we ate cake, and everybody socialized. Overall, it was the best party ever. I even found myself forgetting about the conversation my mother and I had just two days prior.

Three months that’s all I have! Time is going to fly by I just know it. I know I can’t do it and if I do not find someone, knowing my mother, she will arrange an arranged marriage! I cannot do that! EVER! I will not!!!
Yours Truly,
Estrella


April 13, 2007
Dear Luna,


I have come up with an ingenious plan! I MUST RUN AWAY! That’s it!
I will go to some island where mother nor anyone else will ever think of looking for me and live there for the rest of my life. As a girl I always wanted to go live on an island and learn how to hula dance but I knew that would be impossible. Now, I feel like I can do whatever I please. I mean, what do I have to lose? If I stay here my life will be miserable for the rest of my life, and if I leave at least I have a chance for happiness!

My plan is to leave tomorrow night, after everyone has gone to bed. I will go to the airport and get on the first plane to America! I will go find some remote island like Hawaii where I will live and become a dancer like I always wanted. Hopefully, I will meet the man of my dreams and fall in love the way it should be. But who knows?



I am now thirty one years old. I still live on the big island of Hawaii and got married to m dream guy like I always planned. His name is Jamal. Also, I dance. I am the lead hula dancer at the La Luna Luau. I also teach hula lessons there. Jamal and I have two kids, April and Pacco. I love them very much.

I still occasionally write in my diary which is hidden in my closet at La Luna Luau. When I am having a bad day or missing my real home, I go to a private place and read through my old passages. It’s like a book to me, about me. It is the one and only thing that I have to remember my old life back in Ooberville by.

I have never told anyone about my history and what I ran away from. Not even my husband or kids. That is why I wrote this, to tell someone my story. I needed to get it off my chest and the only way I know how to do that is to write about it. I guess I have Luna to thank for that!


The author's comments:
This is a story that I wrote for English this year. I know it is not the best story in the world but it means a lot to me. My diary got me through some hard times in life just like Estrella in this story.