Danger | Teen Ink

Danger

By atopakian BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
atopakian BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

No one lives on the top of the mountain. It’s fine to go there occasionally —for inspiration, for new perspectives. But you have to come down. Life is lived in the valleys. That’s where the farms and gardens and orchards are, and where the plowing and the work is done. That’s where you apply the visions you may have glimpsed from the peaks.

The gun was pointed right at me. I had no idea what type of gun it was, god I didn’t even know where the hell I was! The only thing that registered in my brain, was how I was most likely going to die. And, I had never told Elizabeth the truth. “If you do this,” I whispered, my voice hard. “You will forever regret it.”

My killer laughed coldly, his eyes calm. “I regret nothing, and will most definitely never regret killing you. In fact, it will be a great pleasure for me to shoot your head off, and see the blood flying all over the place. Don’t worry though, it will hurt a lot.”

I tensed, feeling the air get colder around me. “If you are going to shoot, then shoot.” I raised my eyebrows, holding the fear inside of me. I did not want this man to see me so much as shiver.

‘Click’ The bullets were put into the gun. ‘Click’ The gun was pointed at me. ‘Click’ The guns safety was turned off. ‘BOOM’ ‘BOOM’ ‘BOOM’ Three shots, all hitting my chest. ‘BOOM’ ‘BOOM’ ‘BOOM’ Three more, in the head.

“Elizabeth, I will forever love you.” I said into the blackness enveloping me. I could not fight it off anymore, and so I collapsed. Most likely, straight into the hands of my death.

----------

“Oh god. Please, please... Is he- What- Oh my god.” A women's voice stuttered, and I forced my heavy eyes open. The walls around me were painted a bright white, and the floors were also white though they were tile. I was lying on a hospital bed, the blue blanket covering the part of my body that was not encased in gauze or plaster.

“Elizabeth?” I croaked out, my voice rusty from disuse. My eyes glazed as a headache formed in my temples, but I pushed it away. All I could think was, I am alive! “Elizabeth is that you?”

The woman turned around to face me, and I melted into the bed. Elizabeth, my beautiful Elizabeth, with her chocolate brown eyes and bronze skin. Her dirty blonde hair pulled into a low ponytail. She was breathtaking, an seeing her pushed every feeling of pain away. “Sir, you should not push yourself and talk.” The doctor, a man who looked at least fifty with a bald head and wrinkles, said sternly.

I didn’t even look at him, my attention focused only on Elizabeth. “You, you remembered me.” she whispered, her whole face lighting up. I looked at her with confusion, because why would I not remember her? She was my Elizabeth, my love. “I know, that must sound quite odd to you, but Chase... You had been shot in the head three times. The doctors assumed you would have a great amount of trouble trying to do anything. But you’re talking, and you remember me.”

I smiled at Elizabeth, my confusion completely evaporating. “Oh, well about me being shot, who found me?” I asked her, my voice getting stronger the more I used it.

Elizabeth bit her lip and looked down onto the floor. “I uh, I followed you after you left me. As soon as I saw what was going to happen, I immediately called the police and they got the man. The EMS almost didn’t make it. If they had been one minute later then they were, you would’ve been dead. They were quite surprised you made it at all.”

My temper flared when I heard that she had followed me. Did she not figure out how dangerous of a situation I was in? Did she not figure out how easily she could have been killed, if anything had went wrong? I heard the beeping of my pulse from the machine go faster, and took a couple deep breaths. I did not want her to know I was angry. She would just get upset, and that would just alleviate my pulse which would cause the doctor to put me on more medications. Because, I was pretty sure I was already full of medicine.

“Ma’am, I am sorry but visiting hours are now over. You can come back tomorrow and see Mr. Thompson though.” the doctor said, his eyes bored.

Elizabeth looked at him coldly for a moment, then turned back to me with softened eyes. “I promise to come back tomorrow Chase. I- I love you.” she murmured, and then left without waiting for my response.

I wonder if she knew why the man was trying to kill me. If she did, I would never know unless she told me. That is what Elizabeth was best at, keeping secrets. I just wished she trusted me enough to lie all the time.

“Goodnight Mr. Thompson.” The doctor, whose name I now saw was John, muttered. He turned the light off and shut the door of the room I was in, leaving me to the dark.