Night Walks | Teen Ink

Night Walks

By AriBear BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
AriBear BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia

I woke up again for the third time that night yelling. What was going on? Why did this keep happening? I just needed to relax. I was stressing too much.
“Sweetie are you okay?” my mom peeked her head into the room looking at me. Her voice was so relaxed and soothing.
“Yeah I’m fine mom” I sat up and looked at her. I knew I wasn’t fooling her. This was the third time that this had happened. I knew if it happened one more time she would definitely think something was up.
“Are you sure?” I knew that she wanted me to tell her something but I couldn’t. I just looked away and stared at the midnight blue wall. She thought I was okay and that what happened hadn’t affected me at all, and I wanted to keep it that way.
“Yeah. I think I’m just going to walk around the block for a little get some fresh air.”
“Umm Echo, it’s three in the morning don’t you think that it is a bit too late for you to be wandering the streets alone?” Of course that was expected. I mean my mom was always a protective mother why would it be any different now?
“Mom I promise you I’ll be fine.” I knew I was going to have to beg. “I’ll be back in thirty minutes.” My mom let out a sigh. I had won.
“Fine. But! If you’re not back by four you are grounded.” I shook my head.
“Okay” I put some sweats on that I hadn’t used in over a year on, hopped into my tennis shoes. I got my phone and iPod and headed for the door.
The banister still had the bright yellow caution tape on it and so did the bathroom and guest bedroom. It still hadn’t really sunk in all the way. I still felt as all of it was just a dream.
“Don’t forget your keys Echo!” My mom shouted. I took them from the counter and left the house. I grabbed my iPod and blasted my music as loud as I could. I looked around at the dark pit-less neighborhood. There is nothing I see anymore. No houses, trees, or anything else. It all seems empty.
I turn a corner and let the music fill my head. Tears stream down my face as I remember what happened. I felt as it was my fault. If we hadn’t been alone or if I had, had my phone maybe it wouldn’t have happened. That doesn’t matter anymore though, because it doesn’t change anything now. He’s gone and I can’t do anything about it.
I kept walking with my vision fuzzy because of the tears that were now pouring down my face. I didn’t know where I was going. All I knew was that I wanted to disappear. I didn’t think it would ever get better. That’s when his favorite song came on and I just collapsed. That’s when I realized that I was at the lake. That was our favorite spot.
That’s when I herd a voice.
“Echo? What are you doing here?” it was him. It was really him. “It’s late, you
should get home”
“Dony?” I looked at him “It’s really you!” I started crying, but this time for happiness.
“Come on Echo let’s get going, mom is probably worried sick.” I shook my head
and we started walking home. We just talked and talked like there was no tomorrow. When we got to our house we stopped at the front porch. I looked at him and smiled. “Time for you to go Echo” I looked at him confused.

“Aren’t you going to come in?” I asked. It was his house too why wouldn’t he be coming in? I looked at him
“Just remember that I’ll always love you sis” that’s when I realized what was going on.

“No” I looked at him. “Please no. Let this be a dream.” My eyes started to fill with tears again.

“It’s time for you to stop blaming yourself. You need to move on Echo. I’ll always be in your heart.” And with that he was gone. I looked around and I was alone. That’s when his favorite song ended.

“Echo come in, sweetie it’s raining!” I looked up and realized I was soaking wet and that it was raining hard. I walked in with my mom and I saw an invitation. The only words I read were “In loving memory of Dony Mikavitz, friend, son, and brother.”