She Sat With Her Back Against the Wall... | Teen Ink

She Sat With Her Back Against the Wall...

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

She sat with her back against the wall and her bare feet slowly scrunching up and releasing, dragging across the cold wood in the transition. The half-filled carton of eggnog lay slanted leaning against her, the condensation rubbing off onto her t-shirt and creating a damp spot on her side. She sat there with her eyes closed and listened to the sound of the crappy Christmas carols almost being drowned out by static emitting from the radio in the apartment below hers. Her eyes opened again and flitted to the phone that lay on the floor just past her feet and once again she checked the phone jack that was right next to her, jiggling the phone cord in it to make sure it was properly inserted. After establishing that the phone was indeed capable of ringing, and it was still the problem of no one calling, she sank a little lower against the wall and picked up the eggnog again to take another swig. She turned her attention back to the radio again as it blasted downstairs. Have yourself a merry little Christmas, let your heart be light, from now on your troubles will be out of sight…Her eyes flitted with another fleeting look towards the phone, and she braced herself against the wall, chipping bits of paint off the wall as she stood and walked across the room to an undersized kitchen. Her footsteps echoed throughout the dark empty room, and she carried the carton of eggnog placing it back into the bare refrigerator. Faithful friends who are dear to us, they gather near to us, once more. Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow…She opened that freezer but knew that the freezer was as bare as the refrigerator, and she sighed opening the refrigerator again and grabbing the eggnog yet again along with a carton of beer. She crossed back across the unfurnished room, looking once more at the phone on the floor. The small window lit up the room with a mix of pale natural light and colorful lights emitting from the Christmas tree that was visible in the window of the apartment across the street. People crowded around laughing and exchanging ‘Merry Christmas’’ as they found the people they knew. She turned away from the window and resumed her position on the cold hard floor in solitude, closing her eyes waiting to hear the phone ring, even though there was no one to call. And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.