Dream II | Teen Ink

Dream II

By Ian Merton BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Ian Merton BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

April 11

This is probably my favorite dream because it felt very real and was the most amazing sensation I have felt. I woke up from feeling well rested. I sat up in bed and stretched my legs, arms, and wings…wait wings?
I looked back in shock and discovered that overnight I had grown wings out of my back. They were velvety black crow-like wings with large elegant feathers that were slightly jagged. Still in bewilderment as to where the wings came from, I got out of bed and went to the window. It was a beautiful morning, slight breeze, the sun shining, and the dew still on the trees and grass.
My wings started to tingle as I opened the window in excitement. Did I even know how to fly? No. I crawled out of the window onto the porch roof. I stretched my wings to their full extent, did a little hop, skip then jumped off the roof. I glided about thirty feet and then hit the damp and bumpy ground with a thud. Disappointed, I started to run while flapping my wings. I started to gain elevation, so I gave one final leap into the air. I was going higher but not foreword, as if I was key ingredient, a destination. I looked around and saw my quonset hut. Just like walking, I started to go to my destination without really thinking about it. I got to the roof of the quonset hut and scanned the area for a new destination. Not seeing one of interest I jumped off the roof and plummeted towards the earth. At the last second I swooped up into a back flip. As I soared through the air taking sharp turns, doing barrel rolls, and diving, it was the most amazing feeling I have ever experienced.
Then something terrible happened. My wings disappeared. I rocketed from the sky towards the earth at an alarming rate. My vision was tunneling and I thought I was going to die. At the last minute, when I should have hit the ground, I woke up hitting my bed and lurching forward. Sometimes dreams just feel too real.