Saddest Day of My Life

It is my wedding day today. It is supposed to be the happiest day of my life. It is not. Why? Because I am being forced into this state of matrimony.

I was orphaned at the age of 10. My uncle became my legal guardian. He didn't want to become my guardian, but he was my only living relative. And so, the task of raising me fell to him. I was always a burden to him. He had to pay for my schooling, wardrobe, and nannies. He was losing so much money on me. As soon as I became the legal marrying age, which is sixteen, he began to look for suitors. I rejected every single one of them. I didn't want to get married. I was to young and still had a life to live. Finally, he became frustrated and chose a man for me.

I did everything I could think of to make this suitor reject me. I acted disinterested in him, had temper tantrums if I didn't get way, and sometimes I simply ignored him and acted like he didn't even exist. For some reason, nothing I did would deter him. Later, I found out my uncle had offered him a large amount of money to marry me. My uncle was desperate to get rid of me.

So, now I stand in a wedding dress in front of an alter. My uncle is grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have no one here for moral support. I am completely alone. This is to be my fate. I will live a life of complete unhappiness and misery from now on. This is the saddest day of my life.

LifeIsPoetry said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:08 am
Backstory for sure! But the emotions are outstanding in this piece. We always think of weddings as happy occassions, so this alternate perspective is facinating. Maybe you can review some of my work? It's all poetry, but I would love feedback.

Kailey4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

That is sad!! I'd like to hear more of what happens, like afterwords. And just like Tigerz101 said, you should add like a backstory, too. It would make it 100x better!!:)

Jesusisalive replied...
Thank you :)

Tigerz101 said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:52 am
I think you should add more detail to this story. Like try and mention the "husband's" nmae and maybe what happened to her parents and how they dies.

Jesusisalive replied...
thanks for the advice