Alive | Teen Ink

Alive

By smilegrrl BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
smilegrrl BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon

The rain drowns out all other sound, the gray drowns out all other color, the cold drowns out all other sensation, and a deep, welling sadness drowns out all other emotion. My cotton hoodie is soaked through, sticking to my body in places and chilling me to the bone. Yet I refuse to shiver. Do I already have hypothermia? Am I encased in a block of ice? I do not know. I can’t feel anything. Not the marshy, wet, sucking ground beneath me, and not the rough bark of the tree at my back. When I look up, I lift my head just enough to peek out from under my hood, and all I see is gray; gray tumultuous clouds, gray deadened grass, gray rain coming down in sheets, pounding me until I chip away like a block of stone at the mercy of the ocean; I am turned into sand. All that is left of me is the soggy residue of a spirit, no fire left in it to burn, no warmth with which to hope. I am numb, and my head sinks back to my knees.

Through the cloth of my hood, and through my tightly shut eyelids, a light shines. So bright! It seeps through my rain-soaked skin, my etched away body, and acts as a defibrillator, jump starting my spirit. I begin to feel again. The first sensation is pain, my whole body burns from the cold, and the water suddenly begins to steam off my clothes. Somehow, I muster the energy to stand up. At first, I use the tree for support, keeping my eyes on the ground. I lift my chin, and let go of the tree. As I take my first few baby steps, the world seems to transform. The grass turns from gray to green; the clouds dissipate revealing a brilliant blue sky. The tree grows buds; they flower and then burst into rustling emerald green leaves. And most of all, as I gain my confidence and start to run, the sun, a shining golden orb in the sky, lifts my feet from the flowering meadow and pulls me upwards, I am soaring.

I reaching into my pocket and pull out a pair of glasses. I slip them on. The world turns rose-colored. I am alive.

lilyy said...
Beautiful!! Amazingly vivid description! Like I said, keep writing! :D