The Killer | Teen Ink

The Killer

March 2, 2011
By Jasmine1782 SILVER, Ida Grove, Iowa
Jasmine1782 SILVER, Ida Grove, Iowa
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Our boss, Mark, gave my husband, Rob, the day off because Rob hasn’t been in the best of moods for a few days, he seemed frightened in some sort of way. Mark told him to get away for a day and to enjoy the time he has off, because it doesn’t last forever. Well in Rob’s case, that day was the end of forever; Rob was murdered in our home on September 24, 2003. The killer had stabbed him multiple times in the abdomen and slit his throat. The killer proceeded to take his body outside and dump it in the trash. Today marks the seven-year anniversary of his death. The murderer was never caught, but today I found out who it was, and why my precious husband was killed.

It was any average day for me. Wake up alone in this large, Victorian abode, look to my left to see that I have slept alone yet again. I always hope to see Rob laying there, telling me it was all a dream, but he never was. I desolately inched myself out of bed. I made my way down to the kitchen to make up a pot of coffee. While the coffee brewed I put on the dim-witted suit I was forced to wear to the office. I work as an accountant for a big construction company called, Build ‘Em Up. Rob was also an accountant, a great one too. Mark always said he was the best Build ‘Em Up has ever had. He loved wearing a suit everyday though. It made him feel empowered. Noticing I was running late, I dumped my coffee in the usual mug and made my way out the door.

Driving to work, I started to reminisce about the days Rob and I spent together. We always did everything together. We’d wear suits that matched in such a way we looked as if we were the perfect couple, and we were up until the very unfortunate day seven years ago. We always drove to work together, even had this little childish game. When we got to work we would race inside, winner got the big comfortable chair. I always lost since I was running in high heels, but Rob still let me use the chair. He was just so sweet

When I got to work nobody was where they were supposed to be, then I thought to myself… Maybe there was a conference meeting, I knew I was in for it. I quietly but quickly got to the conference room. I heard Rob’s name pop up in conversation so I stood outside the door eavesdropping, hoping it wasn’t anything bad.

“Slitting his throat was the best part!” I heard Mark say with some pride in his voice. “Seeing the look in his eyes… It was priceless.” I knew I should have went in and said something, instead I stood there, recording the conversation with my phone, hoping to late take it in to the police. When I thought the conversation was over I saved the sound and started to walk off, but right as I turned around Phil, Mark’s assistant was standing there.

“Didn’t you get the call, Helen?” he asked, “We gave you the day off for grievance.”

“Yes, I did, I just came to work to pick up something I needed… I noticed there was a meeting, is there anything I should need to know?”

“No. Just go home and relax.” Phil then walked off without another word.

I drove home in a panic. I didn’t know what to do; I sat at the kitchen table playing the sound over and over again. To me, it seemed as if Mark were admitting to the murder of my husband! I was furious!

The phone rang and I picked it up in a panic. “Hello?”

“Helen, it’s Lisa, get out of there!”

“W…”

“No time for questions, Mark killed Rob and you’re next! He left twenty minutes ago. Get out of there, Helen. Go to my house and hide. There’s a key under the door mat.” She then hung up without another word.

I didn’t have time to pack up anything so I just ran outside and to my car. I drove the opposite way so I wouldn’t run into Mark. It would’ve been a longer drive but I couldn’t let Mark see me. On my way to Lisa’s house I realized I shouldn’t park at Lisa’s house just in case. I parked two blocks away in an alley, running the rest of the way.

As soon as I got to Lisa’s front door I got a call from Mark. I hurriedly went inside and hid in the closet to answer the phone.

“Hello, Mark.”

“Helen, where are you? I went to your house to see how you were doing.”


“I’m fine, Mark. I’m just running a few errands. I got to go. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.”

“Okay. Very well then.” He hung up and I immediately called Lisa. I told her to delete the calls to me and from me before Mark finds out. She said it was a good idea and that I need to call the police office to see what I should do. I did exactly that. I was told to come into the police office and they’d plan everything out from there.

I ran the two blocks back to my car and made my way to the police station. When I got there, Deputy Kirk made a plan, he said we’d all go back to my house, the guys would go through the back and I would go through the front. Of course I was scared so I made them go in first while I sit in my car. They called my phone when they got in and had men all around the house. This was only the first step. When I got in the house, I was told to call Mark back and tell him I’d made it home safe and that if he’d like to swing by, he was more than welcome. I called, and Mark said he’d be delighted too.

An hour passed before there was knocking on my front door. Deputy Kirk told me to answer it like I know nothing. He said that they’d all be in the back room and to say, “What are you doing?” when I need help.

I opened the door with a half-hearted smile.

“Hello, Mark. Thank you for giving me the day off, it means a lot.”

“No problem, Helen. We all know that Marks death really affected you… Too bad your death won’t affect anyone else.” He said with a sinful grin.

“What do you mean?”

“I killed Mark, you brainless twit! Phil told me you were eavesdropping, now you’ll have to pay.” He lunged towards me.

“What are you doing?” I screamed. Kirk and the guys didn’t come out. I was scared to death. What was going to happen to me?

“What I should’ve done a long time ago… Kill you.”

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” I screamed again, this time Deputy Kirk came out and shot Mark in the shoulder, he fell down angrily.

“Mark Jones. You’re under arrest for the murder of Rob Johansen and attempted murder of Helen Johansen.”

“Thank you Deputy Kirk.”

“Anytime, Helen.”

After Mark was taken to prison, I went to Robs’ grave. I prayed and told him what had happened. I fell asleep at his burial site, and unfortunately never woke up. Phil knew I’d be here so he came out and fulfilled Mark’s orders. I’m now six feet under with my husband and away from the hurtful world I used to call home.