Chasing the Raine | Teen Ink

Chasing the Raine

By FallynSkye BRONZE, Rochester, New York
FallynSkye BRONZE, Rochester, New York

The Hunter:

The wolf watched her from the shadows of the forest. His belly was pressed against the muddy ground; his muzzle and head peeking through the bushes. He had finally found his mate, and he never wanted to take his eyes off of her.
Raine De Luc was sitting on the grass that covered her mother’s cabin yard. She was weaving a crown of flowers together, her small hands working diligently. He watched as she wove the last daisy in and placed it atop her hair, which was pure, white and never dyed. Her eyes-pastel blue with white flakes- danced with laughter. He could stare at her for the rest of his life.
The wolf stalked from the trees quietly, trying not to startle her. He kept low to the ground, padding towards her with desire in his deep green eyes.
He couldn’t keep a soft growl from escaping his throat.
Raine glanced up and saw the black beast approaching her. Fear bloomed into her eyes. Never had she seen such a wolf; never seen an animal this big (her dogs never grew this tall).
The wolf dropped down to the ground and let his tongue roll out. He didn’t want to scare her. That was the last thing he wanted. He tried to bark to pass for a large dog. There was nothing harmful about a dog.
Raine shook the flower crown off her head and stood. She slowly walked closer to him. She didn’t know why she was even thinking about being near such a dangerous animal. She couldn’t explain it if she tried.
The wolf grumbled his happiness and rolled onto his back. Raine knelt down next to him and hesitantly ran her hand through his soft fur. She smiled when he didn’t do anything and rubbed his ears. The wolf licked her hand, putting her at ease.
Raine laughed and sat back. She was so innocent and trusting. The wolf whined, knowing what he had to do. The thought of it made him sick to his stomach. He growled to himself and climbed to his feet.
She didn’t back off or run. She just sat there, watching the dog. She was entertained by him; drawn to him as much as he was to her. When he brushed his head against her shoulder, she simply grinned.
The closed his dark eyes for a second and breathed in her sent: rain and citrus. He shook his head to clear any thoughts and jumped on her, his fangs singing into her skin.