Escape is Not an Option | Teen Ink

Escape is Not an Option

By Nishat PLATINUM, New York, New York
Nishat PLATINUM, New York, New York

We lead our lives like water flowing down a hill, going more or less in one direction until we splash into something that forces us to find a new course.

The first rays of sunlight peaked through the opening in my curtains. Squinting, I opened my eyes. Turning my head I looked at my clock; 5:02 it read.

Great just another day in my life where I get laughed at, just because unseen things keep tripping me. Oh well at least I’m not a total outcast. Speaking of which, my only two friends will kill me if I’m late again.

After a quick shower I inspect myself in the mirror. Today was the first day of junior year and I tried to find some sort of change in myself.

No such luck. Same unruly, overly curly disgusting shade of blond hair, brown almost black eyes and alas I was still 5’2. The only thing that really changed was the fact that I had a criss cross cut on my left temple. If only it were a lightning bolt. Then i could have passed it off as a female Harry Potter thing.

With one last wistful look at my concealer I pulled a bandage from my medical cabinet and stoke it on. Whatever, sure people will probably laugh at me and make jokes but I’ve had worse. Finally I pulled on my schools uniform, grabbed my backpack and ran out the door.

I pulled my I-pod out, put in my ear buds and set it to shuffle. Immediately Florence + the Machine came on. How ironic, out of 476 songs Florence Welch started to sing about happiness

“Happiness / hit her / like a train on a tra-ck /Coming towards her / stuck still / no turning ba-ck/She hid around corners / and she hid under beds” The song soon faded in the backround as I passed by some old classmates on the way to school themselves. They started pointing at my head and laughing. I pretended not to see, silently singing.

“The dog days are over/
The dog days are done/The horses are comin' so you better run”

I pass by more students and more laughter. Suddenly I feel like running. My feet picked up their pace and i felt the familiar rush of wind in my face. Running was my thing. Even though i can be a total klutz at times i was the star of my track team. Running usually took my mind off of things and let me clear my head. I kept on running, taking a longer route. Garbage cans and alley ways passed by me. I inhailed the familiar scent of cooking oils, onions and various other spices as the local Chinses Buffet passed by me. Everything began to blur as i picked up speed. My school bag kept bumping against my leg but i stared straight ahead, without even bothering to push it back to my other shoulder.

Running was a way for me to get away from all this; the cruelty of people who don’t understand nor try to.

“Run fast for your mother; run fast for your faa -ther / Run for your children all your sisters and brothers /
Leave all your love and your longing behind. You can't carry it with you / if you want to survive.”

Finally I see the familiar red and blue Deli sign. There always waiting for me are my two best friends who don’t really understand but tried to. “Lily, Jessie, HEY!” I say as they turn around.

We all hug and they both start talking at the same time and then start to laugh. Lily takes one look at my bandage and and wind blown hair pulls out her brush.

I take a step back and say “Hey what are y~”

“Hush, I’m gonna fix this.” She replies.

With much expertise she pulls my hair out of a ponytail, brushes my hair and does things that all end up with me having a whole new hairstyle. One, that most conveniently hides my newest injury.

“I have no words.” Jessie says and with that we walk the rest of the way to the hell that they call High school.

Upon entering we are ushered into an assembly. The AP walks across the auditorium stage and starts blabbering on into the microphone.I look around the large room my mind wondering until he says,

“Without further ado I’ll introduce your new Advanced Physics teacher, Mr. Cavanaugh.”

With a smirk on his lips and black glasses perched on his face Cain Cavanaugh walks in. Instantly everyone starts to whisper.

Wow he's hot you kn~

Is he even o~

Glasses nice~

I won't mind going to Physi~
I only catch bits and pieces of conversations. I look up and Cain is standing at the mike.
He stands in front of us all and looks directly at me.

“I look forward to teaching all of you.”

The suddenly starts spinning and my head feels light. The last words that I hear before everything goes black are Jessie and Lily yelling for someone to get the nurse.