I Wish I Were a Plane | Teen Ink

I Wish I Were a Plane

February 1, 2011
By fame@myfrontstep BRONZE, Inman, South Carolina
fame@myfrontstep BRONZE, Inman, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I wish I were a plane, flying high in the air; looking down at the majestic mountains and unknowable seas. Above me suspends the vast heavens. Below me lies only the earth. I would be free to go wherever I want. No one could stop me or avert my path. I would get lonely sometimes. Then, I would look under me and see the world and the people that need me to be transported. I would be a big plane with lots of room for people while they sit. I would fly as high as I could go. Fearless, I would venture over oceans and hostile countries. Heights would not scare me. The expanse of the world would be my only limit, the lack of fuel, my only reins. I would be a strong plane. My life would be long and prosperous. After my bolts and screws got old and I would become too old to fly, I would go to the museum and be visited by many old friends. I would be cherished. The people for whom I once cared would repay my kindness by looking after me, my legacy remembered. Then I would spend the rest of what would be left in my life watching the people, one by one, look in amazement at my sturdy walls and noble frame.


The author's comments:
This is a metaphorical piece about life and freedom.