Is it Just Luck? | Teen Ink

Is it Just Luck?

Slam! Went the heavy metal door followed by a familiar click that let us know it was locked.

“Oh no” wailed Mary.

“I think it is locked, lets check it out,” I replied
Mary then jiggled the handle so hard and nervously that it broke off! Mary started to panic.

“How are we ever going to get out of here?” Cried Mary.

“Oh I know we can use the phones in the office,” I answered anxiously. Mary quickly followed me mumbling “what are we going to do, what are we going to do?” I picked up the phone and immediately realized that the phone was as dead as a doornail. Mary was still mumbling “what are we going to do, what are we going to do?”

I had to think, fast and then it dawned on me, we could rule the school! I turned to Mary with a big smile on my face. As I talked to Mary she started to calm down and we brainstormed what we were going to do.

First on the list was to slide lickety split down the down the Pre-k to fifth grade hallway in our socks. All our fears rapidly disappeared into thin air as our laughter echoed down the corridors.

Next on the list was a trip to the art room to create something out of clay. However, on our way there I was distracted by the glistening red color of the soda machine. It seemed to be calling my name. I stopped short almost tumbling to the ground. Mary carried on with her journey, but when she realized I wasn’t following behind her, she backtracked and found me with my eyes focused on the glowing machine. As I stood transfixed Mary went of to find money for two cokes. She walked into the office, and behind the front desk was a big ring with three keys attached. Mary found a rather strange looking key so she borrowed them and told herself she cant forget to return them! Mary can back to find me. She delivered the about not finding any money, but the good news that she found a set of keys.

“What door should we try first,” Mary asked excitedly.
“As long as we are here, lets try the side door I wish there was money with those keys my mouth is as dry as the Sahara desert,” I replied.

“Yeah I know what you mean we will have to get something to drink when we get out of here” Mary answered. We walked out of the kitchen and stopped dead in our tracks as we eyeballed two cokes sitting by the side door.

“How did those get there?” Mary said mysteriously. As they drank the somehow cold cokes and then they tried the door, it didn’t budge! We walked to the other end of the hallway towards the 8th grade door.

“I wish we had more light, so we could see the keys and locks.” I exclaimed! We had finally reached the 8th grade door when we saw two blue flashlights sitting on the windowsill.

“Woah that is freaky just like the coke cans,” Mary squealed! The girls were disappointed at the fact that none of the keys worked. Even though the handle was broken they decided to try the front door. Slowly they walked towards the front door. As they approached the door they were shocked by the fact that the handle was not on the floor but on the door!

“How did it get back on the door?” the girls thought together. They gently wiggled the doorknob and they were astonished to see the door open! As they started to walk out the door, Mary remembered that she had to return the three keys back to the office. When Mary went to hang the keys up, she realized there was another key ring with a bunch of keys already on the hook!

“How did they get there?” Mary wondered. Mary didn’t want to leave her friend alone for to long so she rushed back to the door. On the way home they discussed the mystery of the coke cans, flashlights and keys.

“I guess we will never know what really happened!” I questioned. From the window of the school a man watched the girls safely walk home, as a grin spread across his face.