Northern Slave

The whip slashes across my back. I am a slave, sold by my parents for a profit they did not need. I am from a rich, white family sold because of greed. This life, worse than that of a black slave on a cotton plantation. My body, covered by scars from old wounds and the scabs of new ones. The pain unbearable, made even worse by the bitter cold of the north.

Every night I pray to my Lord to end this pain. To show me mercy in the form of death. I am on the verge. I can feel it. As the whip strikes again, I feel my body go numb. My brain is slowing, preparing for the final stage of life. Death. I feel warm. There is no pain. Just a soothing light. I know my prayers have been answered. I am dead.

Pandora118 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm:
Thanks. I was going for that.

Firebringer17 said...
Short, yet powerful. I am pleasantly impressed :) good job, normally, I'd ask for a writer to write more than this, but for some reason, it feels good to stop there...for now...maybe a bit more but not too much, this hits me too since I'm black and I think you got this pretty well. Keep it up

Annerdy said...
I liked the feel of it- not the subject of slavery itself- but the way it was written. I was cringing through this because it's almost like I could feel the pain that the slave experienced physically, mentally and emotionally. It was very short and sweet (or should I say bitter?) and got the point across fairly well. I do wish there could've been more details, background history, setting, etc. to give it a more authentic feel. Overall, I enjoyed reading your work very much. Keep writing! :]

Pandora118 replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm :
Thank you. I had a limited time to write this so that's why it was so short.

Pandora118 said...
I would appreciate any comments. If there is anything that I should have done better please let me know so I can fix it :)

lovelycheese replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
I think this piece really delves into what a slave back in those days would really be like. Your descriptions are great, and yes, I see talent. Haha great job, I do like this piece a lot. 

Pandora118 replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 5:36 pm :
thanks. you're comment means a lot to me. Really only one out of my five closest friends really gets what it's like for someone else to like your work. So thanks.

youngpilotThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:01 am :
It's no short story, but is very good. i found no grammer mistakes, or spelling. Great job

Pandora118 replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm :
Thank you very much