Northern Slave | Teen Ink

Northern Slave

By Pandora118 BRONZE, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Pandora118 BRONZE, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

The whip slashes across my back. I am a slave, sold by my parents for a profit they did not need. I am from a rich, white family sold because of greed. This life, worse than that of a black slave on a cotton plantation. My body, covered by scars from old wounds and the scabs of new ones. The pain unbearable, made even worse by the bitter cold of the north.

Every night I pray to my Lord to end this pain. To show me mercy in the form of death. I am on the verge. I can feel it. As the whip strikes again, I feel my body go numb. My brain is slowing, preparing for the final stage of life. Death. I feel warm. There is no pain. Just a soothing light. I know my prayers have been answered. I am dead.

I was inspired by my grim creative expressions teacher. I am not racist. Believe me. I just thought it would be interesting if there was another side to slavery.

Thanks. I was going for that.

Firebringer17 GOLD, Mayfield HTS, Ohio

"To get respect, you must earn respect, to earn respect you must give respect."

Short, yet powerful. I am pleasantly impressed :) good job, normally, I'd ask for a writer to write more than this, but for some reason, it feels good to stop there...for now...maybe a bit more but not too much, this hits me too since I'm black and I think you got this pretty well. Keep it up

Thank you very much

Thank you. I had a limited time to write this so that's why it was so short.

on Jan. 25 2011 at 9:01 am
DaughteroftheTrumpet BRONZE, East Aurora, New York

Washington Irving once said “There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love.”

It's no short story, but is very good. i found no grammer mistakes, or spelling. Great job

Annerdy BRONZE said...
Annerdy BRONZE, San Francisco, California
I liked the feel of it- not the subject of slavery itself- but the way it was written. I was cringing through this because it's almost like I could feel the pain that the slave experienced physically, mentally and emotionally. It was very short and sweet (or should I say bitter?) and got the point across fairly well. I do wish there could've been more details, background history, setting, etc. to give it a more authentic feel. Overall, I enjoyed reading your work very much. Keep writing! :]

thanks. you're comment means a lot to me. Really only one out of my five closest friends really gets what it's like for someone else to like your work. So thanks.

lovelycheese GOLD, Cupertino, California

"If you have something to do, then do it. You can't get wasted time back." ~Ben Carson.

I think this piece really delves into what a slave back in those days would really be like. Your descriptions are great, and yes, I see talent. Haha great job, I do like this piece a lot. 

I would appreciate any comments. If there is anything that I should have done better please let me know so I can fix it :)