Due Tomorrow

It had all started yesterday night when I turned on my laptop. I had to write a short story for school. When I had finished writing the first paragraph, my computer shut down. What a pity! However, I remembered more or less what I had written, so I was not too cross. Well, I turned it on again and wrote out my story. I found it a truly marvelous account. My father came to see how I was doing with my homework, when he tripped over the computer’s cable; hence, shutting it shut off before I had the chance to save my dead story. Sick with fury, I plugged the cable back into the wall. My father left quietly, his chin sunk deep with shame into his breast. I wrote the same well-known story once again. I saved it and, realizing that there was no paper in our printer but that I could print it at school, e-mailed it to my school account. Suddenly, I realized that I forgot my password to log into my e-mail. No matter. I went back to the saved document on my not so trustworthy computer. When I tried to open it, the computer asked me for a password because I had marked the document as of utmost importance, which locked it down so that only the author could access it. I was not sure what this password was, but at least this one had a hint. It said, “Same as your school e-mail password.” Enraged, I stomped over to the table to have dinner.
After dinner I was brightened up. My mother had given me a great idea: I would write it by hand! It took me more work and effort, but I did it! I folded it neatly and I put it in my school bag where it was safer than in that blasted computer. Afterwards, I went to sleep calm and happy. I had finished my homework, for the fourth and final time.
The next morning at school, I looked for my work. It was not there! I searched and searched. I did not find that piece of work. So I anxiously went to the computer lab. If my laptop did not work, it did not necessarily mean that the school’s computers would bring me just as much bad luck. I wrote the story. When I got to the last word, the lights went off. A felled tree had knocked down the wiring that connected the school to the grid. Oh, how I hate the day computers started misbehaving!

“And that, Mrs. Doe, is why I cannot hand in my homework, and I understand if you want to punish me. Just please, I beg of you, do it quickly. Do not make me suffer more than I already have. Woe is I.”
Tears rimmed my eyes as I looked up at my teacher. She stared down at me through a pair of beady eyes, her eyebrows raised, her lips perked stiffly. Through her dry skin I saw pulsing veins, ready to explode and paint the walls with flaming blood.
“Adam,” I was ready for the worst. Ten years-worth of detentions. A thousand essays on why I am such an irresponsible, reckless rash. With any luck, she would only whip me with a steel buckle. Her mouth slowly opened. I clenched my fists and closed my eyes. “Why would I punish you?” She told me with a giggling smile. “That, Adam, was the perfect story.”

TheBug said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 1:45 am:
well, this is just amazing.

melli said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 6:58 am:
Liked much, excellent work :D!

bbq124 said...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 7:30 am:
UAU!

solp said...
"mjbc99" both with "Guilty Stains" & "Due tomorrow" You grabbed my attention and kept it! Loved the art work!

luli said...
Hi "mjbc99" "makena binker cosen" You have so much talent! stories, art work, videos ...do you compose music too?

maria said...
"MJBC99" - "Makena Binker Cosen" "Due Tomorrow" & "Guilty Stains" are really great pieces! Congrats on the art work too. You are an all rounder girl!

loli said...
Hi "Maky" "mjbc99" capital WOW for "Due Tomorrow"!!! OMG you HAVE TO put more on here!!!

mili said...
"MJBC99" "Makena" Love the story "Due Tomorrow" so much I read it 3 times already.

vani said...
"mjbc99" O my gosh!!! "Due Tomorrow" was AMAZING!!!!! & so different from "Guilty Stains" I loved it!!!!!! Please please post more!!!

sbru said...
"mjbc99" "Makena Binker Cosen" "Due tomorrow" is great :D please write more!!!!

soff said...
"mjbc99" love "Due Tomorrow" its incredible and amazing.

agostina said...
i want more :D it was amazing. great work.

nc ert said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:29 am:
GREAT TOO !!!

Brenda said...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 9:24 am:
Dear "mjbc99" enjoyed very much all of your work: "Guilty Stains","Due Tomorrow" story & art, and videos on your youtube channel - "makyschannel".

Maira said...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 9:22 am:
Well Done! Excellent piece! Congrats!

charly soyer said...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 8:09 am:
that was good

joni dep said...
Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:10 am:
This is also VERY NICE !

Emili said...
Well Done Kid!

John Douglas said...
Jan. 8, 2011 at 7:15 am:
Your story is a piece of art, just like the picture you published. Congratulations!

Andy B. said...
Great story! Doesn't it always seem like everything is going wrong when we leave that essay, paper, project, homework, etc. for the night before? Congratulations for the prize!