Jessica | Teen Ink

Jessica

By David Campbell BRONZE, Colfax, California
David Campbell BRONZE, Colfax, California

It was November 14, 2010 and I was up at my cousin, Zach’s house with my sister. Everything was going fine until my sister’s phone rang. Cassandra answered the phone and said “Hello,” Then went quiet. She looked at Zach and I and started to cry. She then hung up the phone and sat there for a minute in shock. I got the courage to ask my sister what had happened. She replied, “David, Jessica died last night and we need to go home now.”

Chills ran down my back, “Wait! You mean our 22 year old cousin Jessica?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

“Yes David, our cousin.” She said trying to fight back the tears.

We rushed out of the house and went to her car, then drove home. When we got there, nobody was in the living room. I ran up stairs to see my parents laying down on their bed with tears flowing down their face. I ran up and hugged my mom. I knew how much she cared for Jessica and how hard this was going to be. I let go and went and hugged my dad. It wasn’t just my mom that I needed to worry about, I needed to worry for my dad and the rest of my family too. She wasn’t just a cousin, she was more than that. She was like a sister and daughter to all of us.

Later on that night, before I went to sleep, I heard her wonderful laugh that is just as good as heaven itself. I then closed my eyes and saw my wonderful cousin. Jessica just smiled down at me. Words could never describe this moment. Her rosy cheeks had dimples on them telling me everything was going to be ok. Her blonde hair shined over me just like the sun. Her beautiful hazel eyes stared straight into mine with no worries in the world. Her lips then opened and she mouthed “I love you” and then, she disappeared.

I woke up in a rush not knowing what to think. I started to cry and said “I love you too, Jess.” Once I saw her I wasn’t sure what this meant. Was it only just a dream? It was more than a dream and I knew it was more than a sign too. Then I figured it out, what I just saw was afterlife. My amazing cousin is afterlife. I shut my eyes and fell asleep. I then reappeared back into my cousin’s warm comfort.

This is a true story. I wanted to write something about my cousin for her memorial.