I should've trusted you. | Teen Ink

I should've trusted you.

By Misstonijean BRONZE, Wellston, Michigan
Misstonijean BRONZE, Wellston, Michigan

Love is friendship on fire.

“Brace myself for the goodbye. Cause its all I ever known.” I said to myself as I walked away from him. “Where you going?” He said as he grabbed my arm to pull me back to him. “Away from you. I’m tired of how you treat me. I’m done. I know you cheated on me. So, why are you even denying it?” I said with a little anger in my voice.
“What are you talking about? I never cheated on you. Why would I?”
“Because you’re a jerk like that.” I walked away.

The next day, I woke up. I looked at my phone. * Three new text messages. One new voicemail*
First text message:
‘Baby, I never cheated on you. I love you too much to do that to you. You are mine forever and always. Love, Demitri’
Second text message:
‘Constance, talk to me, please. I never cheated on you. You need to believe me. If you really love me, you would trust me. I love you. Babe. Yours forever, Demitri’

At this point, I’m almost in tears. I don’t know what to believe. I checked my voicemail.

“Hi, Constance. This is Allison. I don’t know if Demitri told you or not. But he asked me to marry him last night. Well, I got to go. Bye.”

I dropped my phone on my bed and I fell to my knees. I drove over to Demitri’s house. I knocked on his door.
“Hi, baby.”
“Oh, save it. I know your secret?”
“Umm, w-what secret is that?” He said with a stutter.
“Allison, I think it is. Well, she called me this morning, telling me that you two are engaged??”
“Oh. A-Allison.. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.”
“I’m sure. You need to get your story straight. But until then, we are done. Don’t call or text me. I’m tired of hearing all of these lies coming out of your mouth. All of this hurt you’ve caused me. Leaving me all alone. Now, I want you to feel the same thing I felt for all this time. But, the question I keep asking myself is, how many times have you done this to other girls. Or if it’s just me?”
“Constance. You’re not serious. Are you?”
“You figure that out when you are sitting all alone in heartache and tears and I’m not there for you.” I said as I was walking away.

One week later

I turned on the news to see what was going on.
“Two days ago a 23-year-old, Demitri Kelley, has committed suicide. There was a note found next to him reading.
‘I love you. I never cheated on you. You are mine forever. I could never hurt you. That girl was lying. She said all that to you because she knew that you would break up with me so she could have me. But I never wanted her. I love you and only you. And now that I don’t have you, there is no point in living. I love you.’

I sat on the edge of my bed. Tears pouring out of my eyes.

“The funeral is on Saturday 13th at 2:00pm.” The newswoman continued.

Later that night

I had about two shots of Vodka. One beer. I grabbed a piece of notebook paper and a pen and started to write.
‘Demitri, I’m so sorry. I should’ve believed you. I didn’t know you were going to kill yourself. I love you. I want you to know that. When, I found out that you killed yourself, I cried and cried. I couldn’t stop. I feel so guilty. This is all my fault. Well, babe, I’m going to see you very very soon. I love you…’ I got up and grabbed a pistol and put to my head… I took a breath in, and I exhaled, “I love you” and shot the gun…. I fell to the floor. Everything faded to black…