The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

on Jun. 23 2010 at 10:12 am
splenda. SILVER, Century, Florida

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." Mark Twain

this is really good  very well written  would you please check out my work? ikd really like som/e comments  thanks  and again, really good  

on Jun. 23 2010 at 7:21 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This is absolutely amazing!  I loved it!  Fabulous job:)Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?

vikesfan28 GOLD, Genoa, Nevada

I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing.

-Wierd Al Yankovic

continue! I don't know if it's real or fictious, but I think you should definitely continue it.  Make it into a totally dramatic story!

PrudenceFang BRONZE, Herriman, Utah

"Life isn't worth living unless you believe in something."

Cool! I love it! Good job!

Diana101 GOLD said...
Diana101 GOLD, Grove City, Ohio

"God's delays are not God's denials"

I loved your story! Here lately i've been in the mood for romance stories, so this just hits the spot:)

I love how you tied the colors of the rainbow into your story!

plantrock said...
plantrock, Roscoe, Illinois
Ultraviolet is the sunshine this story brought upon my day.

collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

i liked how you tied the colors of the rainbow with your story. a very cute way to make your story more...colorful. Verry good!

tweeet. said...
tweeet., Atglen, Pennsylvania

happy birthdayy.

that's so amazing! awww, love it!

meganiscooler GOLD, New Kingston, New York
I really liked this. Reading it, I was SO scared the last one would be something depressing.. but it's really cute (:

charlottegirl BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I believe in pink. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot...I believe that the happiest girls are the prettiest girls." -Audrey Hephburn

this is lovely, and it made me smile :)

lunnmoony said...
i loved it but, the last sentence remeinded me of an essay. leaving it at the violet would have been good.

PussnBoots GOLD, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

"When life hands you lemons, make apple juice. Then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it." -Unknown
"The world is my pineapple. I just have to figure out a way past the prickly parts." -Me

B-E-A-Utiful!! It's so sweet and cute!!!!

KonyaB!!! GOLD said...
KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
Gorgeous. I love it! Keep on writing!!!

Dilemma GOLD said...
Dilemma GOLD, Allstn, New Hampshire
Lovely, beautiful, amazing! This story brought tears to my eyes. Good work and keep writing! :)

SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
~Unknown
"Things change, friends leave, and life doesn't stop for anybody."
~Stepgen Chbosky

This is soo good! It makes me think of my best friend and things him and i have done together. There's the 1 special thing that ties us together.

Eliz@Beth BRONZE, Jewett, Texas

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land in the stars."and " Life is not about the breaths you take but about the moments that take your breath away."

this is really good :)

on Jun. 1 2010 at 7:47 am
LaughingGirl GOLD, Ocala, Florida

Play the music not the instrument. -Author Unknown

Aww! That was so cute and beautifully written!

bilbogirl GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 7:35 am
bilbogirl GOLD, Townsend, Delaware

If you cant rock it, dont even bother trying.

This is adorably amazing. The whole time, all i could think to say was "awww." I liked the one for blue the best :)

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

That was so romantic- and way creative.  Super sweet and totally original.  Plus, if it were me writing something like this- I would never have been able to think of something for Orange.

one_of_a_kind_girl GOLD, N/A, California
This is absolutely without a doubt BEAUTIFUL! I was captivated from the beginning to the end! I LOVE IT!