The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

BookOwl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:47 am:
Aww! That was so cute and beautifully written!

bilbogirl said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:35 am:
This is adorably amazing. The whole time, all i could think to say was "awww." I liked the one for blue the best :)

thepreechyteenager said...
May 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm:
That was so romantic- and way creative.  Super sweet and totally original.  Plus, if it were me writing something like this- I would never have been able to think of something for Orange.

one_of_a_kind_girl said...
May 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm:
This is absolutely without a doubt BEAUTIFUL! I was captivated from the beginning to the end! I LOVE IT!

romancewriter13 said...
May 10, 2010 at 8:47 pm:
very cute :)

Aquafina said...
May 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm:
I loved it=) good job

stillness.is.the.moveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2010 at 4:38 pm:
I really like it, but i think the last part is unnessesary... I think you should just leave us with a nice image of violet.

AnimalDreaming replied...
May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm :
I agree with stillness.is.the.move.

lunnmoony replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 5:02 pm :
i loved it but, the last sentence remeinded me of an essay. leaving it at the violet would have been good.

ashkash95 said...
May 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm:
It's so cute! I loved "red" part!

MyTeacherMadeMeDoIt said...
May 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm:
all i can say is simply AWWWWWWW ^^

Dutchess said...
May 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm:
this was really good. i love how you connected the entire rainbow to your relationship with Mark. this was amazing. please write more.

hanfan24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm:
This is so cute and creative!!!

Rachael P. said...
May 10, 2010 at 6:26 am:
aaawww this is so cute! =3

lol101 said...
that was the best thing on teen ink that I had ever read!! you have sooo much talent.  congratulations on getting it in the magazine. great job. I absolutely looooooved it!!!

XxM@k@y!@Xx said...
WOW. is all i can say that was so beautiful. =) i love it!!!

mitchinmyheart said...
aww so so cute. i love this its now my fave on teen ink

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
aww this is soo beautiful. i luvv it!!

monstrosity said...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 10:46 am:
This is so beautiful

JacobC said...
amazing!!!:)