The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Rockk said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:06 am:

so so good! i loved it(: keep writing.

and will yall please check out my writing? thankss and again it was great

Shelly-T said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 9:05 am:
This is nice!

EllieK. said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm:

This is soooo cool and creative. I never would have thought of using all of the colors this way. Keep writing amazingly.

Would anyone mind checking out some of my work. Thanks!

Smoothieheart said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:59 pm:
That was really really good. Keep on writing

-daydreamer- said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:13 am:
I really really liked this, you should definitely keep writing.

splenda. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:12 am:
this is really good  very well written  would you please check out my work? ikd really like som/e comments  thanks  and again, really good  

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:21 am:

This is absolutely amazing!  I loved it!  Fabulous job:)Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?

swimster23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm:
continue! I don't know if it's real or fictious, but I think you should definitely continue it.  Make it into a totally dramatic story!

chrisgirl13 said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm:
Cool! I love it! Good job!

Diana101 said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm:

I loved your story! Here lately i've been in the mood for romance stories, so this just hits the spot:)

I love how you tied the colors of the rainbow into your story!

plantrock said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:10 pm:
Ultraviolet is the sunshine this story brought upon my day.

myworld10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm:
i liked how you tied the colors of the rainbow with your story. a very cute way to make your story more...colorful. Verry good!

Awesome-ness. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm:
that's so amazing! awww, love it!

meganiscooler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm:
I really liked this. Reading it, I was SO scared the last one would be something depressing.. but it's really cute (:

charlottegirl said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm:
this is lovely, and it made me smile :)

Day-Dreamer17 said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm:
B-E-A-Utiful!! It's so sweet and cute!!!!

Dilemma said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm:
Lovely, beautiful, amazing! This story brought tears to my eyes. Good work and keep writing! :)

KonyaB!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm :
Gorgeous. I love it! Keep on writing!!!

IluvmybffThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm:
This is soo good! It makes me think of my best friend and things him and i have done together. There's the 1 special thing that ties us together.

Eliz@Beth said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm:
this is really good :)