The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Atticus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Fantastic Job! Love the flow and how you tie everything with colors, charming.

awriterslife said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 1:04 am
this is incredibly amazingl brilliantly fantastically perfect! i 10000% love it!!! keep writing! comment on my work too please :D

youaintgotnopancakemix said...
I found this very nice and intriguing. Like everyone else says, I love it! :)

Faithband3 said...
this is incredible i L - O - V - E it

olican16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow. i dont know what else to say but wow and i love this! check out my stuff?

coly33 said...

wow that was beutiful u compared colors to your love for that i guy b/c of what u were doing on dates and stuff i really liked it

:)

Ellawind said...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 12:21 am
It's very creative and inspired. Colors are things we see every single day- it's nice to see something so ordinary and simple transformed into writing with such meaning.  

pageturner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like your story. Something poetic, but not corny. Finally a romantic story that doesn't make me sick. Can you continue on this? Oh and can someone please leave some comments on my articles?

Jellybean9898 said...
this is so cute!  i was smiling, like awww!  of course, i've read this piece a gajillion times, but i never get tired of doing so.  great job, and i hope you contribute more work!

SKN17 said...

BRILLIANT piece of work!

Ure writing abilities are awesome,, keep up the great work! ^.^

addicted1997 said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:54 am
This is one of the most amazing pieces of work i have ever read! Its amazing! Keep writing! I love your work!

xxDreamingWriterxx said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 10:23 am
Really amazing.  I figured you'd end it with something like "Violet is the color my face turned as I held my breath.  He was breaking up with me, I knew it" But it was beautiful. Good job!

Madison22 said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 9:16 am
aaaawwww....this is sooo cool!! amazing! !

Rockk said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:06 am

so so good! i loved it(: keep writing.

and will yall please check out my writing? thankss and again it was great

Shelly-T said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 9:05 am
This is nice!

EllieK. said...

This is soooo cool and creative. I never would have thought of using all of the colors this way. Keep writing amazingly.

Would anyone mind checking out some of my work. Thanks!

Smoothieheart said...
That was really really good. Keep on writing

-daydreamer- said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:13 am
I really really liked this, you should definitely keep writing.

splenda. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:12 am
this is really good  very well written  would you please check out my work? ikd really like som/e comments  thanks  and again, really good  

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:21 am

This is absolutely amazing!  I loved it!  Fabulous job:)Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?