The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Curly_Sue said...
cute. i like it

amykins said...
AWWWWWW! loved it!

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was incredible. I would put up more than 2 thumbs if I had more, but I can only settle with 2. Good job on that one and if you can, could you check out the novella I'm writing in parts. It's called Henningtom. Keep writing!

Michelle24 said...
That was adorable. I loved it.

gulljack said...
Go Battle Creeker! Great poem

AngelS said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:41 am
Amazing! I love it!!! Can you do me a favor and read my story called, "Angel"? Please!!!

bethy4916 said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 10:05 am
Very cute!

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very cute and relatable :) good job

bookluver said...
wow! tht all i can say is WOW! i loved it(:

justwannabeme said...
AMAZING!!!!! very touching. i love it! :)

blueandorange This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful!

Macx14 said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 7:38 am
Red roses may be overdone, but this kind of work sure isn't!! Great job and check out some of my writing too if you have time!!

Nina.C said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 3:12 am
I like the way you took something ordinary and transformed it into a piece of literature. Thumbs up!

starlight26 replied...
I agree :) Check out some of my work if u can  .*)

Bassoonkelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 10:10 am
Really well done! A lot of good stuff going on in there, lots of senses and textures. I would love your opinion on some of my newest work!

nikkigonefishin said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 12:03 am
i really liked how u used all the colors to tell a different story its romantic. keep writing:]

xMeadowxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow I really like it :) the way you used all those colors was really cool

Atticus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Fantastic Job! Love the flow and how you tie everything with colors, charming.

awriterslife said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 1:04 am
this is incredibly amazingl brilliantly fantastically perfect! i 10000% love it!!! keep writing! comment on my work too please :D

youaintgotnopancakemix said...
I found this very nice and intriguing. Like everyone else says, I love it! :)