The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

doubleblacklover said...
a little too much, not ery realistic but it was written well and flowed well...cute.

Leann13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
easygoing/lighthearted...cute and such a lovely story... is really true?? if so, how rare! (:

Hippiechick10 said...
AAAAwwWweessssssommmmee! No other words to describe it!

cdmswimmer9 said...

I Loved It! So cute and creative!

Please rate and comment.

Dance by cdmswimmer9

orangecrush said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 10:45 am:

Really love this piece :)

The last line doesn't seem to fit as well, and makes it seem less like a story and more like an essay. But besides that, well done!

AnimalGirl said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 12:34 am:
i love it... i cant think of anything else to say about it...

Meli14 replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 1:49 am :
I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

LucyInTheSkyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
okay WOW. this is so sweet and well written i love it!!!!!!!! keep writing(:

ohmyitstigger said...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 7:44 am:
the ending made it sound like an essay, not a short story but i like it (:

zThinkimFallingz said...
Loved it!! Very cute and sweet. I think you could have left the last two sentences out to make the rainbow thing really blended into the writing.

Curly_Sue said...
cute. i like it

amykins said...
AWWWWWW! loved it!

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was incredible. I would put up more than 2 thumbs if I had more, but I can only settle with 2. Good job on that one and if you can, could you check out the novella I'm writing in parts. It's called Henningtom. Keep writing!

Michelle24 said...
That was adorable. I loved it.

gulljack said...
Go Battle Creeker! Great poem

AngelS said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:41 am:
Amazing! I love it!!! Can you do me a favor and read my story called, "Angel"? Please!!!

bethy4916 said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 10:05 am:
Very cute!

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very cute and relatable :) good job

bookluver said...
wow! tht all i can say is WOW! i loved it(:

justwannabeme said...
AMAZING!!!!! very touching. i love it! :)