The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Kylee said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm:
Awww...so sweet. :) I wish my boyfriend was like that

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm:
so clever, so sweet, so innocent. very refreshing :) great piece, i loved it!

SuperPanda409 said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm:
that's the cutest thing i think i've ever heard.

day.dreamer. said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm:
Wow! this is absoublutly amazing!

AlyBug said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm:
wow this is beautiful i loved how you used colors to make the story.. i just love it!!

head.in.the.clouds said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 am:
This is so sweet! I love it

emmilove24 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm:
This is the most heart-felt , romantic piece of writing i have ever read.  Brought tears to my eyes.  Hes quite a lucky man to have such a talented women. Keep up the amazing talent you have !

bluebunny said...
This is so sweet! I absolutely love all the romantic things in the relationship. <3

limelove said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 11:48 am:
i love this it's really good. And sweet too.

chelsrose said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 9:11 am:
aww cute:) never take love like that for granted...

MaysileeDonner said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:38 am:
AW! cuuutteeee....!!!

PoetLaureate07 said...
awwwweeeeeeee... :') i love it!!!

AlynIsMe said...
It feels kind of cliche I guess, but it's good.

davidarchiefan1234 said...
AWW!!! i  LOVE this story!!! There is only one thing that i think you should fix, in some of the sentences, it doesnt start out with " ...... is the color......" it goes better when it is there. But other then that, i can't find anything wrong with it, it is an awesome story!!!!!! :)

SoftballismylifeBobo5 said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 9:36 am:
awww:) ilove this :)

PaintedRocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it! It's very cute! Just one problem, the last two sentences don't seem to fit the flow at all; its kind of a jerk out of the story. It seems very formal and unnatural. But otherwise, this story was great!

Lizzy_BarnettThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm :
I totally agree.  Just alter the last two sentences and it will be perfect.

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 9:40 am:
Ohmygosh!!!!! This is so cute and sweet!!!!! i love this so much!!!! Keep writing  please(:

amalie said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 6:11 am:
Cute!! Very interesting read, I like the reality and simplicity of it. Plus, it's such a cute, uplifting story:)

OneGodForever32 said...
Wow. This is absolutely amazing. I love it! This piece is absolutely adorable, and I hope it really happened. If not, I hope you do find love like this someday! :)