The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Teen Ink Server said...
May 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm:

Important Announcement!

Teen Ink is promoting a young, new author.  He name is Sarah G., from Davie, Florida.  I would like to ask of you that you all look at her story, "Natori" before we promote her.  Thanks for your cooperation.

llamachick said...
May 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
This is very well written i enjoyed it very much!

jake2011 said...
May 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm:
Very nice!  Great piece.  Keep writing them.

twizzlerluva97 said...

that was so beautiful i am literally crying right now omg wow keep writing

RockGirl182 said...
really sweet, i loved it :) keep writing !!!!!

M_IML This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is such a great piece! I love how you used one overlying theme - the colors of the rainbow - to describe something. I wish I had something like this :-) 

Mary said...
This is so sweet and simple. You have so much talent! All i can say is thank you so much for sharing it!!!

Chasya said...
Very creative. I loved how you used the colours of the rainbow to tell your own little story. It was adorable.

English--Lover said...
I liked this really straight forward and simple good job.

Writer replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm :
this was really good and very tasteful with colors. i never read such an amazing piece

booklover104 said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:21 am:

awww...this is the sweetest from start to finish. I loved it, it was simple and to he point, you made you point very clear and concise! I love it!!

pmonarca said...
This was so good!  I usually hate anything that involves love, but you were able to take small, unappreciated moments and captured their beauty.  Keep it up, this was really heartwarming!

Lillie said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 11:40 am:
That's so sweet and well written.  Without your careful choice of words it could have been clunky and unappealing.  But you pulled it off fantastically.

LexieBehr said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 11:54 am:
Your wording in your work is the best part!

love dreamer said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:32 am:
im insi(red) i love !!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3

Rain777 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm:
Creatively, beautiful.(:

SchoolCrush7 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm:
I really wish my ex-boyfriend was like that!  I mean, he gave me chocolates (don't get me wrong, I love chocolates), but I wish he would've done something a lot better like what you and Mark did!

Lillie replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 11:41 am :
Maybe that's the reason for the 'ex' part.  Haha, but I feel you girl.  I have a theory that guys aren't worth it until after they're twenty-five.  Before that they are just boys with cuties.  :)

amzazinLily said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm:

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it

WritingAngel20 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:06 am:

Awww, that's so sweet. Nice story.