The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

ashleyn said...

Awwww that's soo cute....wish it wasn't fiction! (: It's really good (:

lrshap said...
so So SO SO SO sweet! LOVE it love

ChocoMint said...
I know I'm the 320th person to comment on this, but you really did an amazing job. I love the original idea of using colors to tie two people together. I also love how your article is "non-cliched," so to speak. So many romance articles on this website have the same conflicts, the same ideas, the same worn out settings and plots. It gets pretty boring. Thanks for you article. It really added some color and spice to Teen Ink.  =+)  Keep on writing!  <><

DancingwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 12:51 am
I love how you made all the colors mix in with the romance of Mark and the main character. Keep writing =)

luv2run2299This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was so good. I loved how all the colors corresponded to what the two of them did together. Very clever and creative. KEEP WRITING! 

WillHug4Money said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:26 am
This is so sweet and clever!! I love how you came up for different things for different colors. Love it, great job!!

Victoria.S said...
This is so cute and sweet! I love this, dont stop writing ;)

Pumpkinscout said...
This is really sweet. The ending was a tad bit bumpy in my opinion, but I thought the story itself was so cute and fun. Great color theme use and just generally well-written.

Aurelie replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 1:05 am
Same- great job with the story, but I feel like you could work on the ending a little more. Maybe change it around a bit so that the end statement isn't as obvious. 

SmileyFace13 replied...
I agree :) excellent story beautifully ending but the ending didnt  fit well. the rest was cute but not very corny and the end was extremely corny. amazing story still :)

KenyaLove41This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is one of th sweetest, magical, and magnifincent love stories i've ever read and thats saying something since i usaully dont like love stories but this so so amazing. i love love love ur writng and how you use the color to describe everything i could practically see everthing. ur amazing keep on writng:)<3

W. said...
I really liked this!! i kept thinking the last color would be white because I thought theyd get married in the end and white would be the color of her wedding dress hehe.   Great story  five stars all the way! 

Norma-Bernard said...
This is beautiful. It brought tear to my eyes and hope to my heart that some day, I can have what you and Mark have. You have a gift. I hope you read this to him. It clearly shows how much you love him. Keep writing :)

GoldenEagle said...
Splendid writing. Salute was the expression and orange was the color of reverence in appreciation of this article. Hats off. Keep writing.

steroids said...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 8:09 am

his may be a late response but atleast im writing, this is amazinnng thi can explain true love :D

steroids replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 8:11 am
i meant: this*

singingwriter14 said...
This is really sweet. I love how you used the colors!! :-)

titangods31 said...

This is so sweet =) love it!

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Cute! ^-^ Love this.

RanaHewezi1998 said...
that is so cute and u had a lot of passion when writting dat! :)