The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

swimtotheend said...
Sept. 14, 2008 at 12:08 am:
I first read this in the print magazine, and I loved it then. I have now read it again, and I still love it! =] I'm glad I can take this chance to compliment you on this great piece of writing!

ren3494 said...
Sept. 13, 2008 at 4:44 am:
Wow! That is absolutely AMAZING! Keep writing. I'm sure everyone wants to read more!

miss.bliss1 said...
WOW! That was so sweet...no wonder why this got published in Teen Inks magazeen. You are a wonderfull writer Milan. Please write another story and submit it here..so I can read it!

jen421 said...
VEry creative. I was reading it thinking, why couldn't I think of that? IT's beautiful

Tweedle Dee said...
oh that was sooooooo sweet. i got all tingly and it was so awesome!!! i hope there really is a guy like that somewhere... lol really great!!! Red blue and yellow were the best colors!!! loved it!!!

dani_c_soccer said...
Georgous..

emza360 said...
it made me all tingly and bouncy(:
i hope there really is a guy like that somewhere.
great writing.

waterpolochica said...
Wow, this is beautiful. I wish that i could write like you and paint a picture in peoples minds.

hippiechild420 said...
Sept. 19, 2008 at 12:09 am:
I love this story it's beautiful! The way you tie colors to love is simply amazing. :)

zoe22 said...
I love this.
Really good writing.

danni:) said...
Sept. 6, 2008 at 9:22 am:
omggg!!! wow! amazing, so beautiful!

stargal77 said...
Aug. 26, 2008 at 12:25 am:
omg, you have the greatest writing style, I must of sent your work to like 6 different people and they emailed back and said it was beautiful...keep writing!!!!!

j122 said...
very creative! wonderful piece

lily said...
Aug. 17, 2008 at 12:14 am:
wow, beautiful!!!
awesome work :D

bookworm186 said...
Very nicely written piece. I loved how you used the colors of the rainbow to portray your friendship, plus you weaved good writing skills into this as well. Well done.

Mynameisalex said...
This is pretty cool. It's actually really good. You can feel her own emotions through her words. It's exceptional.

Shmidty said...
The blue entry had to be the best, or at least that was my favorite but the whole thing was great

Jessica said...
Awww. That is so sweet.

Red Gold said...
Amazingly creative--weaving colors into a story--wow! It's beautiful.

Emily said...
Really, really, really good! I enjoyed it very much. Ending was a tad corny about how it grows stronger, if you just cut that line out I think the ending would be stonger but it is pretty amazing already :)