The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

memelly said...
that is a beatiful piece very beautifully written and i love how you compared your love to the rainbow you did a really good job!!! keep writing!!
hellomynameis said...
Aw, it was very sweet! The use of the colors wasn't cliche, which I liked.
writrgrl7 said...
Oct. 23, 2008 at 2:17 am
Wow!! I really like the colours-- so descriptive! Colours are important to how we perceive life, so I think writing a story about them is pretty cool!
madlenkadoll said...
Amazing! So poetic!
aubrey_the_author said...
Oct. 21, 2008 at 12:20 am
WOW!! It was SOO romantic! The ending was kind of redundant; we already got the point of the rainbow portraying your love. Overall, it was fantastic! I am definately going to see was other work you have. There aren't many writers like you; keep writing! 5 stars!
starghos4 said...
Beautiful! You have a bright future in writing ahead of you. You're story was so original. I really hope there's someone like Mark out there for me...
xoxbabygirl123 said...
That was beautiful....
writexforxlove said...
Oct. 16, 2008 at 1:28 am
I loved it. So sweet and innocent, both in writing and the story itself. I liked the way the colors portrayed the relationship
Lara:D said...
I loved the way you mentioned how it related to the rainbow.
very creative and I loved it!
prittyprincess said...
so romantic!I wish my bf waz like that!
Crystalina said...
i loved it! it was very creative
Pocketnerd said...
LOVED IT!!!!!! The simplicity of it makes this story amazing!!!! It makes me want to find someone to have that type of bond with. :)
Emuhlee said...
Oct. 4, 2008 at 2:20 am
That was very cute. I really like the idea of using colors to explain love. Great job!
cloudsrpretty168 said...
Oct. 4, 2008 at 12:15 am
Excellent!!! Loved it! Keep writing
MysticalBunnie said...
Oct. 3, 2008 at 2:49 am
WOW! I really liked it! I think it's very creative too!
lover of the woods said...
Oct. 3, 2008 at 1:31 am
amazing!! really and it all moves together
Kallysem said...
I really liked this piece. It was amazing and I felt almost jealous of the narrator and Mark's relationship! Haha! Very good writing I really enjoyed it.
Mardzilla said...
This is a very nice one.
jesse061 said...
Oct. 2, 2008 at 12:42 am
I really thought this was an innovative piece of writing tying in the joys of love and the colors of the rainbow. However, (at first) I had a hard time discerning how one paragraph tied to the next. Maybe if you gave a brief intro before jumping into the representations of each color of the rainbow, that would be nice. Or change the title to help explain what your writing piece is about. A title such as (just off the top of my head now) "The Colors of the Rainbow are also The Colors of Love". A... (more »)
Little Miss SUNSHINE said...
Sept. 30, 2008 at 12:22 am
I really liked this story!
it's GREAT!