The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

deathizmyfrend13 said...
Dec. 2, 2008 at 3:16 am
This amuhzing! I could totally relate to some of this. Lovely. :)
b33ki said...
i loved the discription! keep writing, i hope everyone can find a boy that they can discribe their love with the colors of life
alicenovember said...
that is sooo sweet it was so deep and u could tell there was true meaning behind this not sumthing silly
Amber said...
Dec. 4, 2008 at 3:12 am
That was cute. I love how you weaved the way the character (Was it based off of you?) felt into the colors of the rainbow. Very creatvie and 'colorful'. Hah
IrishDancer said...
Dec. 5, 2008 at 12:10 am
wow, i think this is such a sweet piece. it portrays love so beautifully and honestly. and it's not a sex desire love, it's an innocent deep true love willing to wait.
Gorrillas4u said...
nice work. too bad i cant get something like that.......
Patty said...
Dec. 6, 2008 at 12:08 am
I loved it. It made me sort of fall in love too and that's what you want your reader to feel. Good job!
inspiredbynature said...
Dec. 8, 2008 at 2:08 am
this is a great love story without it being overdone. it was so sweet and i almost cried. Not really but you get the idea. You are an amazing author.
razberry SKittles said...
Nov. 25, 2008 at 12:29 am
This is so sweet and cute! I love it!!
greta said...
i've read fanfiction like this
wrtrgirl4ever said...
Nov. 22, 2008 at 4:24 am
This is so sweet! I love how you use the colors to describe your relationship!That's so creative!It's a really beautiful piece.
xxbabygirl123 said...
i loved your creativeness of the rollercoster it was heart touching
bridgeeeex25 said...
i really likee this(: i likee the parttt weree you sayy thatt the yellow dafadelss. you are very creativeee.=)
tyler660 said...
Very good story very use better vocab. bridget is the bomb
tay said...
wait its very well written and romantic but you people watched star wars on a date!!
tweedle dee said...
i've now read this sixteen times and i love it more every single time!!! i hope there's a mark out there for me... : )
kebswims13 said...
this is so sweet! and very clever. it'll be sad when u guys break up
aubrey_the_author said...
I've read this before, and loved it! I have a comment on the version in RAW, and when I saw it on the front of the Fiction here, I was like, YAY!!!!! You definately deserve it! You are an amazing writer! The only thing, as I said in my other comment, is that it was very redundant with the colors of the rainbow; we get that already. Otherwise, Bravo!!
Me said...
That was incredibly clever. Good job!
mmiller12 said...
Very impressive! Keep up the good work!